Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Fuel tank never full

[Insignia] [08-17] 
4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  stoneshed 
#1 ·
I seem to never be able to get my fuel tank more than about 7/8ths full, sometimes if going from nearly empty to full it only goes just over 3/4ths anyone know a reason for this?

I've tried watinig for a few minutes incase its the fuel sloshing about but it still doesn't change anything.

Some googling resulted in a possible breather tube blockage? anyone know anything about fuel tank breather tubes or have a guide on how to clean?

Insignia '63 plate sri.

Cheers.

#4 ·
Take the fuel level sensor out.
Bend the arm down a touch.
You will find the tank reads fuller.

Reactions: MikeSW17 and Bower
#6 ·
Do you mean you put the pump trigger in the tank and pull it and you cant fill the tank right up, its possible the Vent valve in the Charcoal canister could be stuck shut, or canister blocked...mind you if it was i think the MIL light would stay on....just a thought, in the old days they used to have vent hoses, but there not allowed any more lol...from Fred in Essex.

#7 ·
Fuel level reading on the gauge can be adjusted via Tech2 (or at least can be on other Vxls).

It might be when you think you have 1/8 of a tank you actually have 1/4 of a tank but the gauge/ level sensor is calibrated incorrectly

Brim it so you can see the fuel in the filler neck, you will have to pull the nozzle out as you are filling and only fill at a slow speed for the last bit, then see what the needle says, if its still less than full its a level sensor/ gauge problem that needs a realignment

Reactions: Bower and g4vvq1983
#10 ·
Before you start taking stuff apart and spending money for the sake of it read what is posted above about brimming

Simple Tech2 re-alignment is very likely all that's needed!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.