Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1.3 sr nova has a problem every now and agan were it idles fine but when i go to pull away it cuts out same as when i holed it at 2,500 revs it also hesatats after changin gear and when i tern the ignition off it runs for a bit and then stops but other times it runs fine.
i think it might be a fuel problem can anyone help.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If the engine runs on could it be a timing problem.? My mk2 astra 1.4 used to run on in hot weather but in cold it would go off straight away. Also have you checked the mixture is right?:think

·
Registered
73 Posts
sounds like you have an ignition/timing problem my 1600 carb'd nova used to do the same thing then i just advanced the timing a few degrees and all is well,

Does it smoke from the filter/carb at all when you turn of the engine??

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks ill have a look. iv just found out it used to have a twin webber carb on it but its been swoped for a single choke carb would this afect it.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
This depends on the choke size of the carburettor and the main/ idling jets and what the idle mixture is set to.

Yes, I am old enough to know about setting carburettors up :(

Get the code off the carburettor and I will get the jet sizes for you.

Send me a PM so I don't forget.

Double check that the ignition timing is correct.
If my memory is correct you use a strobe lamp with the pick up lead connected over the spark plug HT lead nearest the cambelt end.
Disconnect the vacuum advance pipe from the distributor and plug it.
With the engine idling set the timing so that the notch on the crank wheel aligns with a small pointer OR set it to the BTDC (Before Top Dead Centre) mark if there is a gauge.

The fuel misture at idle should be about 1 to 1.5% co.
Any leaner/ richer will affect the low revs up the emulsion tube before the main jet comes into play.

NickT.

ps as an addition, carburettor cars usualy have an inline fuel filter that should be changed on every service.
Debris from the tank can in some cases block the carburettor jets.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its all sorted now i took it to a garage and thay took it apart and cleaned it out and tuned the car for £25 so its all good thanks to everyone for the advice.:bananasmi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts