Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed fuel prices are dropping again, Esso garage at the end of the road was down to £1.25 a litre for Diesel.

Been over to Morrisons put a bottle of Diesel Injector Treatment in the tank and put £30 of Diesel in my tank at £1.20.7 a Litre and petrol was £1.18.7 a Litre, cheapest its been for a while.

·
12,337 Posts
Was £1.21 for diesel in Tesc last weekend and I had a voucher for 5p off a litre on top of that too.
Makes a change to see it dropping again now that Iraq has settled down again.

·
Super Moderator
25,792 Posts
I don’t get excited anymore about fuel price drops after i filled up with diesel that was 5p a litre cheaper than anywhere else & i saved 98p on filling my tank , yawn I’m almost falling asleep thinking about it lol 😂
I think it’s because i fill up so much ( at least 3 times a week )

·
Premium Member
13,725 Posts
I usually fill up around once every 10 days to two weeks. Around 55 litres, save around 7p a litre driving to Asda in Miiddlesbrough, rather than my town Guisborough where it's more expensive. So that's around £3.85 saved and I'm passing anyway.
As I also save 1p per litre of fuel on the Asda credit card too.
I've never had any issues using Asda diesel within my current or previous diesels I've ever owned or their petrol either with previous petrol cars.

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,600 Posts
Ever since petrol went above about £1.20 a litre, I stopped looking at the prices.

I genuinely never look at fuel prices now, and just stop pumping at about 30 quid, unless I'm going on a long journey or something.

·
Likes this.
10,836 Posts
Ever since petrol went above about £1.20 a litre, I stopped looking at the prices.

I genuinely never look at fuel prices now, and just stop pumping at about 30 quid, unless I'm going on a long journey or something.
I'm pretty much exactly the same, apart from I fill right up every time so I only have to visit a filling station every ten(ish) days.

Makes no difference how much the fuel costs to how much I will use my car, so there's no point worrying about the price really....

I NEED it to get to work (public transport would far outweigh the cost of driving, as well as being far more inconvenient) and I NEED it to drive the kids about wherever they need to be.

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,600 Posts
*apart from I fill right up every time so I only have to visit a filling station every ten(ish) days.

*Makes no difference how much the fuel costs to how much I will use my car, so there's no point worrying about the price really....
*I've always had this thing about keeping my cars as light as possible. I rarely have any un-needed crap in them, and I'd rather have 30 litres of fuel in an 80 litre tank, day to day, without the extra 50kg ish in there too. This probably stems from the times when I had much lesser powered cars and used to race people from the lights and stuff :LOL: :LOL: In something like my RS6 with 600 lb ft, it doesn't really matter if the tank is full or if the car is full of people. But yeah, I do brim the tank if we're going away in it somewhere.

*Exactly. We have to drive it when we have to drive it. Fuel goes in,...the car gets driven. I do genuinely know people who will specifically drive 10 miles in the wrong direction, to 'save' pence on their fuel haha.

*I've never typed the word 'un-needed' before (uneeded?),.......guess it's not even a word. Not needed.

·
Likes this.
10,836 Posts
*I've never typed the word 'un-needed' before (uneeded?),.......guess it's not even a word. Not needed.
It's un-needed as a word I guess, because we have unnecessary to use in that context? :LOL:

·
Likes this.
10,836 Posts
*I've always had this thing about keeping my cars as light as possible. I rarely have any un-needed crap in them, and I'd rather have 30 litres of fuel in an 80 litre tank, day to day, without the extra 50kg ish in there too. This probably stems from the times when I had much lesser powered cars and used to race people from the lights and stuff :LOL: :LOL: In something like my RS6 with 600 lb ft, it doesn't really matter if the tank is full or if the car is full of people. But yeah, I do brim the tank if we're going away in it somewhere.

*Exactly. We have to drive it when we have to drive it. Fuel goes in,...the car gets driven. I do genuinely know people who will specifically drive 10 miles in the wrong direction, to 'save' pence on their fuel haha.
*I used to only half fill the tank for the same reasons :D But now I just can't be bothered with so many visits to the petrol station. I do still keep the boot empty though as much as I can.

*Back in 1990, when the first Gulf war happened, the price of fuel shot up massively for a brief spell and at the time there were two Petrol stations in Abingdon, Oxfordshire that had a price war and kept dropping their prices until they were the cheapest in the country by miles! (one was Esso and one was a new Tesco superstore, next door to each other!)

My cousin lives in Abingdon and I actually drove the 132 mile round trip to Abingdon at that time to see him, making sure I had just enough fuel to get me there in the tank of my old Cortina. I had worked out that by arriving in Abingdon with an emplty tank and filling it up at one of the warring petrol stations, I saved around £20 or something daft. That was AFTER I factored in the fuel cost of the 132mile round trip as well.

So it was cheaper at that time to drive to Abingdon and home to fill the tank with fuel :LOL:

Not something I do on a regular basis though, I don't worry about a few pence per litre most of the time.

·
Super Moderator
25,792 Posts
My scooter was amazing on fuel £5 lasted me for two whole weeks for going to work , when the fuel strike was on i could lord it up over the gas guzzling drivers riding around looking for a fuel station that had fuel & as a bonus i could leave them standing in fresh air when the lights went green lol 😂

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Our local shell dropped their derv from 132.9p to 126.9p per liter this week

·
12,337 Posts
Where the girlfriend lives there is a Tesco with a petrol station selling diesel for £1.21 and opposite is a Texaco station selling diesel for £1.32. It takes 10 seconds more driving to get into Tesco but surprisingly the Texaco garage gets plenty of custom. That's either down to anti-supermarket fuel prejudice, too much money or somebody else is actually paying for their fuel. It's not far off 50p a gallon difference.

·
Premium Member
13,725 Posts
My scooter was amazing on fuel £5 lasted me for two whole weeks for going to work , when the fuel strike was on i could lord it up over the gas guzzling drivers riding around looking for a fuel station that had fuel & as a bonus i could leave them standing in fresh air when the lights went green lol 😂
Back in the mid 80's a owned a Honda Melody 50cc scooter, used to get over a 100 mpg from that. I doubt it would pull my weight now:ROFLMAO:Before that a Honda C50, cheap transport for the masses & incredibly reliable.

I now try to go to the petrol station as least as possible, brim it when I do go.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A mate told me about a bloke he worked with that had never paid for petrol for years, he used to travel to work on a scooter, this was back in the 90's probably before technology at the fuel pump changed, he used to stop at a petrol station that was on his route home but it would be closed, he used to be able to fill his tank with what was left inside the pipes on the pumps on the forecourt.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where the girlfriend lives there is a Tesco with a petrol station selling diesel for £1.21 and opposite is a Texaco station selling diesel for £1.32. It takes 10 seconds more driving to get into Tesco but surprisingly the Texaco garage gets plenty of custom. That's either down to anti-supermarket fuel prejudice, too much money or somebody else is actually paying for their fuel. It's not far off 50p a gallon difference.
Today Esso garage was down to £1.23 a litre, Asda South Bank was the same as Morrisons £1.20 a litre.

·
12,337 Posts
A mate told me about a bloke he worked with that had never paid for petrol for years, he used to travel to work on a scooter, this was back in the 90's probably before technology at the fuel pump changed, he used to stop at a petrol station that was on his route home but it would be closed, he used to be able to fill his tank with what was left inside the pipes on the pumps on the forecourt.
A Tesco manager once showed me how to do that. If you removed the pump hose and pulled the trigger before the pump is turned on it would empty the hose, giving you a few pints of fuel. Of course whoever used it next took the hit.
Can't do it with the modern pumps.

·
Rascal
11,940 Posts
I paid 120.7 for diesel the other day. Mind you, I had to drive to Newport to get it, which won't make this a viable trip to do as I used nearly half of it to get me home again. However, that's a good 8p cheaper than I paid in Horsham last week

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts
Meh! With a 100ltr tank 2 or 3p difference becomes pointless to get excited about about

1 - 20 of 50 Posts