Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 Zafira 1.6 16V has developed a problem which i believe might be a fuel guage issue.

When the tank is above half it runs great. When the guage starts to go between half and quarter it starts to act up, it feels like the engine dies, as though it has run out of fuel then suddenly it will jump back to life and drives a bit before doing it again.

would it be a fuel guage problem or a problem in the tank itself as the car still does quite a few miles, with the intermittant jerking between reading half and just below quarter of course.

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
dip the tank and see what level of fuel is in tank. check under the back seats you may be able to access the tank from there, but having never worked on zaf before i have no idea. worth a look though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i had this fault on my zaf,the gauge would go to empty and the car would stop.wait for 5 mins then be ok for a while then do it again,it went to the garage where they said it was pressure in the fuel tank,so they drilled a small 3mm hole in the filler cap.now goes fine again,and that was 2 year ago that it happen

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have just been advised by a vauxhall dealership that this is because of a partially blocked cat converter that has caused a fault with the EGR valve.

Is it possible? Would the cat need to be replaced, or can I get away with the EGR valve being replaced?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The plot thickens

This morning after having a sleepless night I found that the fuel guage once again moved from quarter tank to empty overnight. After filling the tank up again the mysterious power loss problem went away immediately. :mmmm

Now I have only done 12 miles since filling it up but there has been a drastic improvement in performance. Can someone explain how a full tank of fuel can affect the way a CAT converter works?

Is the Vauxhall dealership feeding me a load of BS because they don't know what's wrong or are they right?

..., it went to the garage where they said it was pressure in the fuel tank,so they drilled a small 3mm hole in the filler cap.now goes fine again,and that was 2 year ago that it happen
I think I might give it a try, would rather spend a few quid on a new fuel cap if it doesn't work then £250 to the garage and the fault remains.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Got the same fault with my Cav, except its when it hits 1/4 tank.

Got a feeling its got something to do with the fuel pick up pipe, possibly a small split in the hose and when its not submerged, its just drawing up air. Stick some fuel in it and its fine.

Tank has started leaking anyway, hopefully get it done at some point today, let you know what happens

Actually, just re-read the thread, and iv only got the lack of power/jerking problem, not the fuel gauge thing too...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts