Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cav runs fine, but splutters a tiny bit on tick over. I'm going to get the fuel filter changed when I've next got a few quid to spare, but I as I suspect the previous owner never looked after her properly, I think all the fuel lines and the injector nozzles etc might be mucky.

Can anyone recommend a good fuel treatment product? Ideally one that will clean the entire system out from the fuel lines through to all the shite in the engine. Also I've heard that some do that cat as well but I can't remember where I saw it.

Also, I've heard the odd rare horror story about such chemicals. My dad once used redex in a motor and it never worked properly again. I don't want that to happen.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For mildly clogged injectors, STP "Complete Fuel System Cleaner" is the daddy. Comes in a silver bottle and it contains a patented substance by Chevron (polyether amine, the only one that works!).

Taken from www.max-boost.co.uk :Cool2:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CallyT said:
For mildly clogged injectors, STP "Complete Fuel System Cleaner" is the daddy. Comes in a silver bottle and it contains a patented substance by Chevron (polyether amine, the only one that works!).

Taken from www.max-boost.co.uk :Cool2:
Have you tried it yourself? If so did you notice any real improvements?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haven't been able to find any yet, will have to look round tomorrow. About £16 a bottle, better than £6 on one that doesn't work.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't live without my car for five days. The longest I've ever gone without a motot since I passed my test is a weekend. I took a duff car back to the garage on a Friday, chose my Cavalier the same day but it wasn't ready, and picked it up after work the following monday. In the two days in between I was climbing the walls. I even had to go on one of the huge boxy things that are designed to stop us making any progress around town, erm, what do you call em, thats it, a bus. It was a nightmare.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
I had mine ultrasonically cleaned a while back by one of the local factors that my Dad uses, was £13 per injector iirc and the turnaround was about 3 hours from them being collected to being brought back.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
i had a bike before and had the carbs ultrasonically cleaned on that, cost about 100 quid all in but i cant say i noticed any difference in performance, fuel consumption etc. might be different with cars though.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
1.8 is reknowned for a lumpy idle. Prbably nothing to worry about - unless overall performance is suffering ie acceleration and fuel consumption.

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,825 Posts
Ultrasonically is the only way.

Luckily the last owner paid for mine to get done.

·
Banned
14,579 Posts
With only 1 injector it would be cheaper lol

But like has been said the 1.8 has a lumpy idle, well mine doesn't now I saw to it

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Performance and fuel consumption are both fine. If the 1.8 is known for its lumpy tickover then that's probably all it is. I'll not worry about it for now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts