Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my fuel comp in today but it had the f in the clock display. So i shorted pin a-d on the diagnostic plug and got fault 168 and 173.

http://82.34.50.33/sytemsandsoftwaredevelopment/systems/automotive/How_to/Cavalier3/fuelcomputer/readfaultcodes.htm

according to this link if ive read it right 168 is possibly due to the FC not being programmed for my engine. But 173 has completly blew me out of tyhe water? is it likely that the FC is knackered or is this also down to programming?
i don't want to sent it to Ian for programming if the FC is knackered and still get the codes when i get it back.

So any ideas again would be great!

·
Missing the Booooossst!!!! :-(
8,709 Posts
Leehollingworth said:
Got my fuel comp in today but it had the f in the clock display. So i shorted pin a-d on the diagnostic plug and got fault 168 and 173.

http://82.34.50.33/sytemsandsoftwaredevelopment/systems/automotive/How_to/Cavalier3/fuelcomputer/readfaultcodes.htm

according to this link if ive read it right 168 is possibly due to the FC not being programmed for my engine. But 173 has completly blew me out of tyhe water? is it likely that the FC is knackered or is this also down to programming?
i don't want to sent it to Ian for programming if the FC is knackered and still get the codes when i get it back.

So any ideas again would be great!
Lee,

What car did the FC come out of?

have u got the outside temp sensor fitted?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the outside temp sensor and thats ok i renewed when i got the car and it displays tghe same temp as when the DID was installed. As to what car it came from im not sure i got it from (chris_g99) on here and ive just PM'd him to ask so hopefully i can get back to you.:Cool2:

·
Premium Member
6,551 Posts
It shouldn't normally display the F just because it's not programmed for your car.

It normally just reads wrong if that's the case.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also:
instant cons - seems inaccurate
average cons - normal although reading 9 mpg but its recently been fitted
average speed - normal
range - displays F(tryed calibrating the tank but can't due to fault codes)
stop watch - normal
outside temp - normal

Are we asuming its f**ked or is there hope? could it be the loom side of things?

·
Premium Member
6,551 Posts
It sounds like it's failing to read the info from the fuel sender. Not sure about those details to be honest.

But it will give out wrong info anyway if it's not programmed to your car.

·
Banned
14,579 Posts
Id calibrate the fuel thing first pal, it sounds fuel level related if everything else works, also check the plug and pins for damage

·
8,709 Posts
Leehollingworth said:
just heard back that the FC is beleived to have come out of a Cav Turbo but not sure. any ideas?
If it is a Turbo one then the 2.5 V6 will be confusing the hell out of it! :lmao:

whats the part number and prefix mate and I'll check for ya.

EDIT~

what does it display for the instant consumption?

gal/h - miles/h and does it change once u start moving?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
vauxmaster said:
If it is a Turbo one then the 2.5 V6 will be confusing the hell out of it! :lmao:

whats the part number and prefix mate and I'll check for ya.

EDIT~

what does it display for the instant consumption?

gal/h - miles/h and does it change once u start moving?
0.6/7 g-h till warm then 0.3 g-h then when i start moving it changes to mpg and obviously varies but can go stupid to 125+ mpg (with a v6:lmao: ) and even goes to 99999.9 normally in 4/5th when i come off the gas.

part No. GM 90 228 342
also on the siemens label - 5wk7 332
and stamped on the unit in white - 8888/0693

hope thats what ur after pete?

·
Banned
14,579 Posts
999.99 is right when your off the gas, go to avg and run it for a few miles see what it reads, instantaneous is always hard

Reset your average speed and compare what it shows as soon as you reset it with what your actually doing, this is where the most common problem occurs

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Andy M said:
999.99 is right when your off the gas, go to avg and run it for a few miles see what it reads, instantaneous is always hard

Reset your average speed and compare what it shows as soon as you reset it with what your actually doing, this is where the most common problem occurs
how do i reset it?

·
8,709 Posts
Leehollingworth said:
part No. GM 90 228 342
also on the siemens label - 5wk7 332
and stamped on the unit in white - 8888/0693

hope thats what ur after pete?
Mmm... That's a XE computer iirc! :think

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok just re fitted the FC and there is no "F" and the range is showing 370 now with a full tank but ive been out and the Avr Spd is showing 33 when im doing 20 and 51 when i do 30 so it is out but as far as the rest i should now be able to calibrate the tank tomorrow and get it programmed soon as it seems to be a loose connection in the FC which i should be able to track down when i put 2 blue LED's in it lol:lmao:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
vauxmaster said:
Mmm... That's a XE computer iirc! :think
sorry pete by Xe do you mean C25XE or other?
could it have been reprogrammed already for a turbo say?
just been confirmed that it came from a calibra turbo

·
8,709 Posts
Leehollingworth said:
sorry pete by Xe do you mean C25XE or other?
could it have been reprogrammed already for a turbo say?
just been confirmed that it came from a calibra turbo
I've had afew FC's chap and that is I'm sure a 20XE redtop, maybe got changed into the CallyT at some point, but neither here nor there once Ian has programmed it for ya. :Cool2:

just explains the crazy readings. :up:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
vauxmaster said:
I've had afew FC's chap and that is I'm sure a 20XE redtop, maybe got changed into the CallyT at some point, but neither here nor there once Ian has programmed it for ya. :Cool2:

just explains the crazy readings. :up:
Cheers for the help bud:Cool2: :Cool2: :Cool2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts