Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car (1998 GSI) has today failed its MOT due to a piece of the nearside front coil spring snapping off and disappearing, does anybody know if there is a difference between the standard SRI/V6 coil spring and the GSI. Any info welcome thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I cannot exactly answer your question, but i think there are 3 different types of springs for the front. If i am not mistaken, there is one type for the GSI (i gather what was quoted to me as the "Sport chassis") then the Sport pack that will fit a "normal" V6 and i think also applies to diesel motors and yet a 3rd type. Best way is to give your chassis number to Vauxhall and they will know the exact answer. BTW, i had (still have, repair in 2 days...) the same problem and the MOT guy told me it is a common fault for modern Opel, Ford (you could see this one coming...) and... brace yourselves... MERCEDES!! :D

I couldn't be bogged to look this time, but if it ever happens i am gonna get uprated springs because the price they charger is plainly insane...

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
broken springs are a common fault on a lot of cars,probably down to our councils installing speed bumps,some do put a big jolt through the suspension

·
Registered
240 Posts
Have to agree solorider...my MOT guy says he has failed more cars on suspension probs in the last 3 years than in the previous 20 years!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts