Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 1.6 Club failed it's MOT last week on brake line corrosion on all lines apart from the rear o/s - I've replaced both the n/s lines and had a look last night at doing the o/s front - looks like a massive job!

The corrosion on the pipe is typically just where the pipe bends under the wheel arch but even so, I can't see any clear access to work on the line to even replace just that section.

My current MOT expires a week Saturday so running out of time and getting more than a little stressed about it!

Any advice appreciated!!!

Cheers,

Wayne

·
Premium Member
4,563 Posts
You wont be able to fix the existing pipes, steel pipes are near impossible to flare by hand. Replacing the whole run is the only option.

By a length of copper or kunifer brake pipe, flaring tool, and ends. Brake pipe bender if you are feeling really posh.

Undo the pipe and each end, carefully work it off the car if you want to copy the existing one. or cut and rip it off if you want to work out the new pipe as you go. (Brake fluid will come out!)
Measurement the length of the old pipe, bit of string is handy for that.
Cut a new pipe to slightly longer.
Fit the ends and flare it before fitting to make it slightly easier.
Fit and fight with the pipe to get it back in place.

Repeat for as many pipes as you need.

Bleed and check for leaks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying.

I get the process, as I've done 2 already, the issue is that I can't see any easy way to a) get the existing pipe out or b) (and more importantly) how to fit a piece of pipe in, especially once it's all bent into the correct shape.

Everything seems to be int he way - no useful access from either the top of the car or from underneath...was hoping someone had done this before and could tell me the route they took.

Cheers,

Wayne

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
I've got to do the ones on the front of the Astra in the near future. can't you pull it out thru the wheel arch ? Worst case is bend it as you go or make it in a couple of sections with a connector in the middle?

·
Registered
256 Posts
When I've replaced pipes in the past I used standard 3/16 copper pipe and shaped as I went, I used a 22mil socket and bent the pipe around that in hard to reach areas where my pipe bender couldn't be used.

I'm just doing a brake pipe referb on a Mitsubishi-Shogun, its a pig because the lines go right over the fuel tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.