Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, please help.

Have a 98 Omega Turbo Diesel with a problem under braking.

Just recently the car has started to shudder violently when braking between 40 and 70mph.

I am considering changing the discs but wonder whether I should look at steering components first as this seemed to happen overnight rather than gradually?

Any assistance gratefully received.

Andy

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi Andy Sounds suspiciously like warped discs the symptoms are exactly the same as I had and warped discs was the cause. not to expensive to sort out if you do it yourself,its also worth checking the drop links wishbones etc whilst your at it.Its also best to use genuine VX discs

T

·
0 Posts
Does sound like warped disks to me too.....can be caused by hard braking then keeping your foot on the brakes when stationary....heat from the disks clamped by the pads then cannot disapate fast enough causing them to warp. I try to remember if i've braked hard and stopped to let the car creep forward a bit then stop again.

R

·
0 Posts
3rd opinion - warped discs. Classic symptom. Change both front discs and pads, don't reuse any pads or do one side only! Must do both sides fully.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
just a quick addition, mine has been doing the same lately - although when it was taken into Vx for its' first (and probably last) service in my ownership, their report said that a front tie-rod end needs replacement. Could the worn tie-rod end cause the same kind of thing?

If not and it's still warped discs, am I best off getting OEM replacements (discs and pads) from autovaux - or are there any higher-spec replacements that you can recommend be fitted instead that will improve the braking?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine does same and just about to change wishbones which are well worn. I think discs ok, vibration is speed specific particularly bad around 50. Discs not that old and ok at other speeds in my case.

R

·
0 Posts
Wishbones are a possibility, but there was no mention of other symptoms. If wishbones are faulty you will be able to feel some play in the wheel when jacked up. Drop links you would certainly here clonking over bumps and pot holes.

Unless you have those I would still suggest discs.

Wheel balance is a remote possibility as well but you would normally feel that at around 50-60mph without braking.

T

·
0 Posts
RonaldMcBurger said:
Wheel balance is a remote possibility as well but you would normally feel that at around 50-60mph without braking.
Which is what I have on mine @50mph :shame:
Its not too bad but theres a definate slight wobble
Back tyres will need changing soon, so i'll get the front's re-balanced at the same time.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Just to remind any newbies that all four tyres need to be balanced, some fitters don't do the rear ones unless you specifically ask them to. The difference is that you feel the front tyres wobble but you can feel the rear, however as far as tyre wear goes an un-balanced wheel will have the same unwanted effect regardless of where the tyre is fitted. Not to mention that the bearings can't be enjoying this wobble too much either.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
hmmm come to think of it, the report did also mention that one of the wishbone bushes needed replacing soon, so that might be it - will have to check for play in the wheel.

Any ideas regarding the choice of brake discs and pads though?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the information guys!

Come to think of it, I have been getting some knocking on speedbumps and potholes so will check front end bushes on wishbone and tie rods.

Are these easy to replace??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts