Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while my cavs had a knock on the front,it happens when im going onto full lock i get quite a loud bang/knock.
Its doesnt seem to have got any worse really until the last few days....Ive drove round in a circle on full lock it doesnt do it,but as soon as i start turning the wheel usually whilst not moving it bangs!
Could it be a balljoint? Or maybe my tracking is out? pulls very slightly to the right.......

Also last night i booted it in 1st and got a rumble from the drivers side front wheel!!!
Did it this morning aswell,but doesnt in any other gear.......could this be related?

ALSO i seem to have a lot of travel in the gear lever,i dont mean play,its quite tight in gear but it seems when i put my foot down the gear lever comes right back as if the whole engine/gearbox is moving?

Starting the think all the above are related and maybe its a dodgy engine mount?
Already had a new front gearbox mount,and the engine mount at the back of the box (near gear selector) looked fairly new when i had to drop my subframe to change the gearbox sump plate a few months back.

Any ideas anyone??

Thanks in advance

·
Vxon's Token Geordie
1,348 Posts
Ive got the same sort of knock that has developed on my passenger side and only happens when im initially turning and pulling off, i was think that maybe its somthing like a snapped anti roll bar link or somthing. My tracking is out and the car goes to the left, not violently but still drifts that way

C

·
0 Posts
Sounds like engine mount/s are knackered, sure sign is gearstick moving back. Can watch under bonnet while a mate bangs it in and out of gear - should see engine move/jump.
As for the other, need to get wheels jacked up and give them a pull etc, could be a track rod end, sounds like more than one thing however.

·
Premium Member
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
right,think ill book her in the garage and get the engine mounts looked at.this may still be why it sometimes notches going into 3rd gear and very accasionally 2nd aswell,unless i let the revs drop abit.

My knocking is only really ever when i initially start turning,doesnt bang from setting off,pot holes,off kurbs or even driving on full lock

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Prime suspect for the knock would be an anti-roll bar droplink or lower arm from the sound of it, very common problems. Gear lever travel could be an engine mount.

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
Should only be one at the rear on the gearbox and probably the one thats gone.

·
VxON Elite
1,406 Posts
im very shure that the knocking you are hearing is the spring not sitting in its seat properly.my dads cav does it on full lock all the time i know its that as i changed the spring on it and its done it ever since but ive never botherd to fix it as it dosen't do the car any harm imo .

·
Registered
122 Posts
it's drive shaft outer cv joints. will only do it when you excellerate on a lock and is related to vehicle speed (the faster you go the more it nocks).

·
Registered
122 Posts
should be easy for you to find then if you get someone to turn it on a lock as you look or feel for the noise. most propable top bearing on the front shocks you will see the spring move with a bang as you turn.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Im getting the same knocking

Im thinking that we shouldnt be ragging old cars about in 1st. Everything was perfect running real bad, I spoke to soon!

Typical snapped antirollbar linkage. I knocks when the weight is changed or u go over a bump. Gonna have to swap the wishbone and linkage asap just had cold so cant b arsed.

·
Premium Member
31,460 Posts
Sounds like you have an offside ball joint collapsed, and your rear gearbox/engine mount is broke too.

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
Braduk said:
Been recomened by a few of ya? Does the wishbone need doing?? It looks shagged compaired to me new one tho
get a bar in betwiin the bushes and the chassais leg, and have a lever, look for movement, have a shot at the ball joint too, but dont change them unnecessarily

·
Premium Member
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cheers will try both these.

On the way back half an hour ago bringing back the mrs and left it in 3rd and put my foot down abit and the gear lever must of moved back 8cm!! Way to much imo so will get it booked in for the engine mount,Id do it myself but wont have the time and cant be arsed to get under the car in this weather!

How much should my gear lever move? if at all???

1 - 20 of 36 Posts