Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Before starting the replacement of the front Discs and pads on my 1998 R vectra 1.8 Arctic, has anyone any advice or tips to save time on replacing these? Have done loads of discs & pads in the past but not Vauxhall and you can guarantee i will need something in the middle of a job.:lmao:

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Am going to have a flick through Haynes and then have a crack at doing the rears if it seems okay....need discs and pads on the rear, front are currently fine.

Have looked at the front before and it seems straight forward.

·
VxON Member:0300
194 Posts
Iv got a gsi and just replaced front discs and pads, dead simple, iirc all you need is a 7mm allen key to get calliper off and a 10mm allen key to get calliper carrier off to give it a good clean up. I dont have many Auto factors around me but found Vauxhall to give best price on a disc and pad combo.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Do you need a wind back tool for the piston? And are these smoth bore or on a slow thread? I just hit back ones I did on a Carlton, not sure if thats best practice.

I was looking at a wind back tool a few days ago - you can get the plain spreader type or one which turns the piston as it pushes back - they man in the factors didnt know which the Vectra had - any input on what people use?

e.g.

http://www.choicetools.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=152&products_id=11124

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=040210268&r=2076&g=111

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I did read that Vauxhall ABS units are so poorly engineered that just pushing back the pistons causes them to fail. (Bit late for me, I've changed the pads 2 or 3 times now and not had the ABS fail)
The suggested method is to crack the bleed nipple and allow the fluid to come out as you push the piston back. (But then you will likely need to bleed the brakes- still you are supposed to change the fluid eveey 2 years anyway.)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gonna do them tomorrow, got a set of discs for £29 & set of pads £10.50!!!!
Local Motor factors, had to order them as apparently not many Vectra owners use his shop!!!!
Thanks for the Hints & tips lads.

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
Take the cap off the brake resevoir to reduce back pressure on the master cylinder seals when you lever the caliper piston back. Suggest you lever piston back when old pads and disc is still in place. Screwdriver between inside pad and disc works well to start it off then a cld chisel or crowbar to finish it off!

·
Qualified lego bricklayer
9,180 Posts
Take the cap off the brake resevoir to reduce back pressure on the master cylinder seals when you lever the caliper piston back.
I thought that this method can *sometimes* damage the ABS modulator? It's been previously suggested to undo the bleed nipple instead when pushing the caliper piston back.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Done the front discs and pads, and what a bugger trying to get the 9mm allen bolts off! I used an old spark plug socket, the long hollow type as an lever and was no problems. I am Considering changing the allen bolts for normal bolts if i ever have to take the caliper off for any reason, Has anyone ever done this? Be interested to know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.