Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, so apologies if its in the wrong place! I've had a good search through and can't see anyone asking the same question...not sure if that's a good thing or not! :)

I have had an Astra J (62 plate) since the end of December and it has blown 1 tail light bulb, 1 number plate bulb and 1 brake light bulb. Prior to that it had blown two Drivers Side dipped bulbs.

Anyone come across this before or know what may be causing it? Replacing bulbs is getting tedious. Already.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
As above but bulbs are used more in winter.
Remember when one bulb goes other bulbs kick in a go brighter to cover the ones that have gone. So they burn quicker because of this so shortens their life.
Plus it’s not the same one keep blowing, it’s different ones.
Buy decent ones tho as cheap ones last much less than decent ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I've got a multimeter at work so will check that tomorrow.

Normally replace with Ring or Phillips in the rears. I try and avoid Halfords own brand etc.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Halfords own Is alright I think.
It’s the unbranded and supermarket ones.
You only worry when the same ones keep blowing to be honest.
Check by all means to confirm, but I wouldn’t worry unless they are repeatedly going on same unit. Just winter and dark do you use a lot more, and then extreme cold will prob take a bit more life away

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, thanks for the advice, I'll keep an eye on it.

The last car I had blew two bulbs in the 6 years I had it, guess it might have just been lucky that way. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check the battery voltage with the engine running to make sure its not over about 14.2 volts.
On my Daughters 2003 Zafira when I changed one of the tail lights the reversing light blew and when I changed that one of the stop lights blew so changed that and now no fog lights ,these bulbs went straight away each time I changed a bulb , I am lost for an answer ,has anyone got any ideas please . Stumped

·
Super Moderator
25,519 Posts
Thanks, I've got a multimeter at work so will check that tomorrow.

Normally replace with Ring or Phillips in the rears. I try and avoid Halfords own brand etc.
My Astra can get through bulbs very quickly ( night breakers last a measly 6 weeks on average or any other type of hyper output bulb ) the only bulbs that really last in the Astra are Phillips or Osram long life bulbs ( headlights last for 2 years & sidelights even longer & rear lights longer still )
Peaking high voltages from the alternator can blow bulbs as can rough road surfaces & short useage times.

·
Premium Member
13,405 Posts
I've fitted "elite", headlight bulbs within my Astra J, for both my dipped and full beam head lights. They're a lot whiter than standard or Osram laser breakers too. Seem to last well. They're slightly brighter than standard too. Around half the price of Osram Lazer breakers. I've had them in for around six months now, still fine, used a lot too, as I have auto lights.
I've also changed the drl bulbs also for a whiter blue covered bulb, but they're not as white as the elites.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts