Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Astra Coupe for about a month or so now, but its had the emissions light on since I bought the car.

I bought the car from an independent used car dealership in Wilmslow.
As I live in Shrewsbury, I decided to take the car to my local Vauxhall dealership, who thought the fault was the EGR valve, but weren't 100% sure.

I took it back to the dealership and left it with them for the last week with the reassurance that they would fix it.

Picked it up this morning and was told that they have replaced the EGR valve under warranty and that the light hasn't come back on since.

5 minutes out of the town, the light came back on, so I turned round and took it back. They suggested that it had an 'Unknown' fault still somewhere and said I should take it to Vauxhall as there was nothing they could do.....

Anyway, a week ago, I bought an ODBII code reader. I plugged it in and showed the salesman the codes and what they stood for (he seemed a little shocked)

The codes read were:

P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0378 - Timing Reference High Resolution Signal B Erratic Pulses

Before I took the car in, it also showed:
P0404 - EGR Flow CKTRange/Performance, but this code has now gone and does drive a little smoother at low speeds, so it looks like they probably did replace the EGR valve.

I've told him to consult with his mechanic to find out what is wrong..

Does anyone know what the two codes refer to? What is High Resolution Signal B?

Any idea which component might be the culprit just so I know when he phones back with more lies?

·
Registered
30 Posts
whats the thing you have got to read codes? my astra has had that light on for months! how much was the box? what is it?! where do u get them?! many thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its an ODBII code reader bought off EBay. I bought one for about £18 + P&P and it works like a treat. I think it was sent from America, but only took about 4 days to arrive.

The one I have is the basic model which can read codes and reset codes.
It also comes with a booklet with a description of the fault codes.

I Think its an Autel Geniscan GS100 ODBII Code reader. it's pocket sized and very very easy to use, just plug it in, turn the ignition key (don't start the car though) and press 'Read'

All European, American, Japanese and Korean vehicles after 1996 use OBDII (On Board Diagnostics version 2) with the exception of BMW and Volvo (I think, who have their own system)

Its cheaper than the £35 Vauxhall charge for the same thing and helps to catch cheating, lying little salesman toe rags out when trying to fob you off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The one on Old Potts Way was fully booked for a while, so I went to the one in Trench Lock Telford, but they were useless.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just one thing though - I'm not sure if Astras built before 2001 are OBDII compliant... Might be worth checking first as I have jyst noticed that you drive an Astra3,

Having said that, if anyone knows the location of the socket on an astra3, then I can verify this on my old car, which is in the process of being sold.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Just one thing though - I'm not sure if Astras built before 2001 are OBDII compliant... Might be worth checking first as I have jyst noticed that you drive an Astra3,

Having said that, if anyone knows the location of the socket on an astra3, then I can verify this on my old car, which is in the process of being sold.
iirc, all astra mk4/G are OBD2 compliant, but the mk3 astras arnt at all, you can read there codes with a paperclip (do a search for the paperclip test)
i have read some of the first mk4 astras you can do this with my the majority if not all are bestbeing read but a OBD2 reader,

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've found a great site that explains the P0300 code: http://www.aa1car.com/p0300/

Just need to know what thye P0378 - Timing Reference High Resolution Signal B Erratic Pulses means in plain english and if its related to the other code?

Any ideas? anyone?

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
My Astra3 is a '97 model..paperclip test just gives gibberish (continual mental flashing and then the engine throws a strop afterwards)..:) I'm guessing OBDII. Seems to fit with the time it was built. It's got the late type diag plug in the fusebox.

The reader would also be useful for the Focus. I was just discussing said readers with mum - my brother has a new Passat, and it's forever whinging about faults detected, and forever in and out of the VAG dealers. We could be tempted to get him the VAG version.

If I can persuade him to lend me the car, that would also be fun...:Cool2:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your car might be built in '97, but that was the time the Mk4 was released, so they probably didn't add OBDII to the Mk3 which was introduced early nineties, as it would have made more sense to just add it to the new car.

I can't see them re-designing a car to accomodate OBDII to a car due to cease production.

Might be wrong though!, but I wouldn't bank on it.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Just been out to eyeball the fusebox/diag socket, and it's the same one as listed on Topbuzz.co.uk for:

16-pin ALDL Test Plug in Astra MK4 within Fuse Box. (Simtec 56.5).

Pinout is exactly the same as that diagram:

Mine is actually the X16SZR engine, which appears to be a Multec Spi (Cfi) if I'm correct. Haynes seems to think so.

I do know that following the paperclip diag guide on topbuzz or here just sends the MIL light crazy, with no pattern seemingly available. Several people on here have also said "you can't paperclip it".

I'm confused...

EDIT: I tried pins 5+6 (Topbuzz), and 4+6 (based on the archives). No output with either, just the normal "on and off" ignition test. Weird motor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just checked my old car 95(N) Astra Sport 1.8i 16v and the OBDII reader will not connect to it, however, the socket it has is different to the one shown on your picture.

Its missing the gap down the middle that yours has, so you may be in luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have autel maxi scan ms509 it wont read any of the codes on an Astra 1.4 16 valve its a 1998 so i thought as it works on my vectra that the vectra was obdII THE YEAR OF VECTRA SEPT 1999 i don't think that the early mk4 are OBDII Compliant as this machine would work if it was its worked on all my other Astra s that were newer after 2000 not sure tho

·
I refuse to grow up.
16,114 Posts
ALL vehicles built after 1996 for the UK are OBD2 compliant. In 2001 it became EOBD for petrol and 2004 for diesel. Not all of these diagnostic scanners will work on all GM cars. Much better to buy yourself an opcom.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
+1 for an opcom......reads ALL the ecus in the car....
.....oh and I think an opcom will work with the 95 astra......with an aldl adapter cable

1 - 20 of 20 Posts