Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats peoples opinion on flushing oil. When I bought my Omega the garage did a service for me which included flushing oil. They mixed the flushing oil in with the oil from what I remember. I have read that flushing oil is not good..My brother has heard that its a bad idea as well. Any opinions.. Should I be worried? I have done 16k miles since I bought it.. Cheers
 

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
Joined
·
4,816 Posts
Sounds like after 16k miles it needs another oil change. Don't bother with flushing oil, waste of time and dislodges bits that should stay where they are, just change your oil more frequently.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
666 Posts
I use it - and its good for V6 engines - I don't use it with the old oil - i use it with cheap kwick save stuff - as its going to be dropped anyway then re-fill with your good oil.



Sussex said:
Whats peoples opinion on flushing oil. When I bought my Omega the garage did a service for me which included flushing oil. They mixed the flushing oil in with the oil from what I remember. I have read that flushing oil is not good..My brother has heard that its a bad idea as well. Any opinions.. Should I be worried? I have done 16k miles since I bought it.. Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,068 Posts
Thanks for nothing guys :( . Now I have a new dilemma, to flush or not to flush? I didn't even know this problem existed before reading this thread!!!! :lmao:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
666 Posts
another plus point - makes yer oil come out of the sump a lot quicker:lmao:
markjay said:
Thanks for nothing guys :( . Now I have a new dilemma, to flush or not to flush? I didn't even know this problem existed before reading this thread!!!! :lmao:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
markjay said:
Thanks for nothing guys :( . Now I have a new dilemma, to flush or not to flush? I didn't even know this problem existed before reading this thread!!!! :lmao:
When I had my Carlton 3ltr 24v Gsi it was always flushed by the dealer on servicing throughout the warranty period.

I then started taking it to a small trusted independant who laughed at me when I said I wanted it flushed - What for, he said, just to keep the oil looking clean between changes?

Car had done 150k when I got rid of it, engine still sounded as sweet as a bird.

First 50k flushed, next 100k not flushed.

Who is right?
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Don't flush. No sorry, do flush. Actually don't because.... no wait..... OK do flush.

I like being decisive. Or do I?
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
This has been discussed before, with differing opinions. :)

First... Sussex, please don't tell me you have not changed your oil in 16k??

Now I really do not agree with flushing oil or any other product like that.
The problem is that over a period of time you will get deposits in the engine (mainly in the sump pan).
Under normal circumstances they don't do any harm...

Now you come along with impressive sounding cleaning product and look impressed as you see how dirty the product is as it exits the engine.

However, not all the crud has gone, odd bits will now be loose and will now mix with the nice new oil, and get carried round the engine, until they find they can't fit through a small oil pick up pipe...

No, the best way to look after your engine is to simply do very regular changes (5k/6months). Much shorter if you have just bought the car and don't know the history.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
laidback66 said:
This has been discussed before, with differing opinions. :)

First... Sussex, please don't tell me you have not changed your oil in 16k??

Now I really do not agree with flushing oil or any other product like that.
The problem is that over a period of time you will get deposits in the engine (mainly in the sump pan).
Under normal circumstances they don't do any harm...

Now you come along with impressive sounding cleaning product and look impressed as you see how dirty the product is as it exits the engine.

However, not all the crud has gone, odd bits will now be loose and will now mix with the nice new oil, and get carried round the engine, until they find they can't fit through a small oil pick up pipe...

No, the best way to look after your engine is to simply do very regular changes (5k/6months). Much shorter if you have just bought the car and don't know the history.
Exactly or is that Correct.

Couldn't agree more.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Well put Dave. Exactly what I was saying.

I do agree with the part about bits floating around. Flushing fluids do remove some crud, yes. But you will (as Dave quite rightly says) end up with a problem.

One of my other posts tells you about a guy who bought a Renault 25 off me years ago. The oil had just been flushed and off he went mini-cabbing in London for the night. A chunk of crud dislodged and blocked the pick up. He said 'it sounded funny' but kept driving until it siezed, he then expected a full refund.

So there.:Cool2:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
747 Posts
Guys, egine flush is not a bad thing as long as it is done where it should.
For example you shouldn't use it on a high milleage noise free engine or if you use it then just for percaution remove tha sump and pick up line and clean them really well, then refit with cheap engine oil and flush the engine. Or another occasion that engine flush can be used is as a last resort for possible cheap fix before you bite the bullet and start dismantling the engine. But always on a gunked up engine you will need to remove the old oil, and clean the sump and pick up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Just chnage the oil no need to flush, change it when very hot just after a run so it all flows out, also remove the dimstick and filler cap befor draining as it lets the oil drain out faster. Dont burn yourself tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,068 Posts
OK, so here goes for safe flushing:

Drain old oil (no point adding flashing oil to dirty oil)

Remove sump, clean sump manually, refit sump (will remove sludge from sump)

Fill with cheap oil (no point wasting good oil)

Add flushing oil (OK, the big moment is near...)

*** FLUSH ***

Drain cheap oil + flushing oil (get rid of the rubbish)

Refil with cheap oil (to clean the remains of the flushing oil)

Drain cheap oil (errr... didn't we drain it already? I am confused now)

Replace filter

Refil with good oil (ahhh.. at last)

And off you go!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,068 Posts
markjay said:
OK, so here goes for safe flushing:

Drain old oil (no point adding flashing oil to dirty oil)

Remove sump, clean sump manually, refit sump (will remove sludge from sump)

Fill with cheap oil (no point wasting good oil)

Add flushing oil (OK, the big moment is near...)

*** FLUSH ***

Drain cheap oil + flushing oil (get rid of the rubbish)

Refil with cheap oil (to clean the remains of the flushing oil)

Drain cheap oil (errr... didn't we drain it already? I am confused now)

Replace filter

Refil with good oil (ahhh.. at last)

And off you go!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
And if you service the car at VX (yes, some people do), no worries just print this out and hand over to the blonde receptionist (sorry: 'Service Consultant') no doubt they will don just that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,068 Posts
markjay said:
And if you service the car at VX (yes, some people do), no worries just print this out and hand over to the blonde receptionist (sorry: 'Service Consultant') no doubt they will don just that!
No, I am not being sexist, I did not say whether the blonde receptionist was male or female!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the replies.. Seems there is more to flushing than I knew.

I've changed the oil 4 times since I picked her up, last time a couple of weeks ago (I get the rip taken by some of my mates as they say its over the top.) I just used the vx semi synthetic. I was driving upwards of 50 miles per day but after a change of job its just a 18 mile round to trip to the station a couple of days a week when I don't get a lift with a neighbour.

I'm only an very very average mechanic so I try and keep all the simple tasks such as oil, plugs (ouch!) and so on done as often as I can. Thanks to Finlays how2 I'm having another go at cleaning the breathers some time today.

Cheers for all the responses...
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top