Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
cavweb's alcoholic
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right this is really startin to piss me of now! 9 times out of ten the car starts fine in the morning then on the odd occasion the battery is drained for no apparent reason. now sometimes when driving the battery light glows a bit if theres a few electrical things on the go.

the battery is only months old and is a heavy duty one, the alternater is charging so my theory is its either a bad earth? or it really just doesnt like the cold weather cause its usually on very cold days it does it.

C

·
0 Posts
Would say the cold is finding out a slightly duff battery.
Is normal for the battery light on these to come on slightly with a few things on. Don't forget you've just started, so taken a fair whack out, and the rear screen for one draws a lot of power.
You say the batery is quite new though?

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
My battery light used to glow with a few things on - I fitted a new live to the alternator and it cured it.

·
Premium Member
31,460 Posts
Are your 4 way electric windows switches illumination on 24/7.?

·
cavweb's alcoholic
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heated rear screen dont work anyway lol. sometimes its not even got enough power to turn the engine over tho and it needs jumped.

yeah the battery in it was only bought in october 2005 and its heavy duty and supposed to have a 4 year gaurntee just not entirely sure its the battery at fault. as going by the recipts i have from the previous owner the battery was replaced in feb 2004 aswell!

·
cavweb's alcoholic
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
C3MKY said:
Are your 4 way electric windows switches illumination on 24/7.?
na mate i checked that. they are workin properly.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Dangerous Dave said:
heated rear screen dont work anyway lol. sometimes its not even got enough power to turn the engine over tho and it needs jumped.

yeah the battery in it was only bought in october 2005 and its heavy duty and supposed to have a 4 year gaurntee just not entirely sure its the battery at fault. as going by the recipts i have from the previous owner the battery was replaced in feb 2004 aswell!
Maybe thats where the fault lies?

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
MMMM double check the earth to the chassis from the battery also the earth from the Altornator to engine (i think)

Make sure that the battery clamps & posts are clean and tight!!!!!!

Also check your lights -- i.e whether they are dim and seem to brighten when engine revved! - if this is happening deffo altornator ..

·
Registered
122 Posts
with the engine ruunning get a volt meter from the - bat to the body of the alternator any more that 0.2 of a volt there is a bad earth. same with the + of the bat to the big red wire of the alternator any more than 0.2 bad feed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts