Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Up For The Craic
11,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having read this thread http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=95708 I think I have most of the info however this is puzzling me a tad.

On this unit from the vectra steering wheel there is a part that says it needs to be turned until tight. What is that about?

What does this turn 2.5 times all mean?

·
Gas Powered
15,285 Posts
you need to set the steering wheel travel.

get it wrong and you'll break the ribbon.

wind it tight, as it says, then back it off 2.5 turns.

then fit the steering wheel (make sure the rack was centred too)

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
As mark says,thats the airbag contact and theres a long ribbon cable inside.It needs to be long enough to turn from straight ahead to full lock left/right without snapping obviously so what the do is make the cable a little bit longer to be on the safe side.For example straight ahead to full lock left could be 3 turns of the wheel and right would be the same,(6 full turns of the cable needed lock to lock) so they make the cable slightly longer. Basicly what you doing is centralising the cable as say the contact had been turned randomly and you just fit it the cable would not be central,there might be enough cable for 5 turns of the wheel right and only 2 turns of the wheel left meaning on the left turn you'll snap the cable.If that makes sense?:eh

·
Up For The Craic
11,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does make sense. I follow about the cable but how does it turn?

The white tab as you can see in the photo below restricts the movement to only about 8mm in either direction! Do I force it over the little bump stops?

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Your right,I forgot about the locking tab that stops it turning myself.This is to stop the need for centralising the contact when the steering wheel/contact are removed in one.I've no idea if the vecy plugs are the same though.

·
Up For The Craic
11,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've no idea if the vecy plugs are the same though.
I have not looked at the plug on my car but I doubt it will be the same. The How2 on this says cut and replace with plug off Vectra B!

Where the hell am I going to find one of those now? :think

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I'm suprised it says that in the how2 as no manufacturer recommends cutting/joining any airbag wiring as the join can effect the resistance in the loom.

·
Up For The Craic
11,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm suprised it says that in the how2 as no manufacturer recommends cutting/joining any airbag wiring as the join can effect the resistance in the loom.
This is what he says...

Cut the plug off the cav squib

Join the cav squib connector to the veccy squib and extend the blue/red
and red/white remote wires long enough to reach the back of the stereo.

refit the squib and run the remote wires to the stereo, I used a metal coat hanger to thread the wires through the dash.

·
97% Mechanic
6,644 Posts
depends how **** you are at soldering i think tbh

Shitroen and their saxos, one of their recalls was to rejoin the electronic pretensioner wiring with standard heat shrink connectors so i shouldnt see a problem aslong as the solder actually flows through properly and you have a clean join

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
There was an airbag contact recall on the cavalier thinking about it,I had the letter saying it had been done on the cdx i sold to Ceri

1 - 18 of 18 Posts