Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

My close friend is selling me his Zafira B, which I have already borrowed for a couple days to do a trip away earlier this week. She drives lovely!

I do have a few questions though. For info, I also have an Astra H, and a Vivaro, so keeping it in the family 馃槀

Its a 57 plate 1.8L petrol Design.

It does have some minor issues to sort, some of which I have already fixed in a few hrs.

So here goes.

1. On the clock its done 117777 miles, so I asked if the timing belt had been changed. He said its not actually due because early on the cars life, for some reason it had a new engine and the true mileage is around 77000 miles, with receipts to prove.

My question is, if its had a new engine, wouldn't they have reset the clock? Or can I request for it to be done?

2. One of the previous owners, for some unknown reason, wired what looks to be a microwave thermostat dial to the radiator fan. It was used to control the temperature at which the fan kicked in (so I'm told). Since my friend's had it, it stopped working (he thinks he fiddled with it too much lol).

Anyone know why on earth they would possibly do this?? And if I rewire to bypass this dial, it should put it back to the way it should be right?

3. All 3 cigarette sockets are permanently on. I dont mind for the other 2 but the one in the front I want to only come on with the igniton because my dash cam only puts itself onto parking mode when power is cut off.

In my Astra there was a spare ignition live under the cigarette socket. Is there one in the zafira too?

4. I want to fit a double din android touch screen head unit. Found a few on amazon around the 拢250-300 mark that look quite good, but not named brands like Kenwood/Sony/Pioneer etc. Anyone fit similar and can recommend?

5. I have already replaced/fixed the interior lights with 6000k LED lights, for pennies. Are there any other cheap & easy upgrades I should consider? I'll upgrade the exterior lights to HID Xenons at some point. Also have some retrofit parking sensors to fit.

Thanks in advance!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

On the Astra H, its the same but there is a spare ignition live under the ciggy socket. I read somewhere it was put in the loom for models that had a ring light upgrade around the socket.

Does the Zafira have the same?

I could wire in a switch but A) I would forget and B) I could just buy a 12v splitter with a built in switch.

I dont want a switch 馃槀

The odometer records the distance the car has travelled NOT the engine!

Reactions: Alan G H

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll definitely have a proper look when I get the car this weekend (on the wiring)

I suppose resetting the odo isnt a big deal for now.

Just wondered why if the engine was swapped the odo wasnt reset, surely thats the main use of recording the mileage?

Registered
Tigra Twintop 1.8 AT Z18XE AF17
Do you want the mileage reset when the brakes are done? Or when changing a bulb? What about the gearbox then? We could do mileage per component but its that feasible and what benefits are you getting from?
As a matter of fact, the engine use should be recorded in running hours.

2. Previous Owner did not understood the functioning of the fan, as these cars are designed to run with a hot motor. Otherwise you won't get the HP advertised.

Registered
2008 Astra Twintop 1.8
1. On the clock its done 117777 miles, so I asked if the timing belt had been changed. He said its not actually due because early on the cars life, for some reason it had a new engine and the true mileage is around 77000 miles, with receipts to prove.

My question is, if its had a new engine, wouldn't they have reset the clock? Or can I request for it to be done?
I would change the timing belt anyway, at 77000 miles its pretty close to it's interval so for piece of mind, I would change it. It's a fairly easy job if you take your time and use the correct tools. As stated above, the mileage on the odometer is the mileage the shell (the bit with all the identification numbers on) has done, NOT the engine. The engine is a component of the car, like brakes, gearbox, etc.

2. One of the previous owners, for some unknown reason, wired what looks to be a microwave thermostat dial to the radiator fan. It was used to control the temperature at which the fan kicked in (so I'm told). Since my friend's had it, it stopped working (he thinks he fiddled with it too much lol).

Anyone know why on earth they would possibly do this?? And if I rewire to bypass this dial, it should put it back to the way it should be right?
I am familiar with these kinds of inline thermostats, I had to fit one on my wife's old K11 Micra because the temp sensor had gone and we couldn't get a new one. You shouldn't require it on the Zaf, I would remove it, make sure that the fan comes on at the correct temp and if not fix it properly.

3. All 3 cigarette sockets are permanently on. I dont mind for the other 2 but the one in the front I want to only come on with the igniton because my dash cam only puts itself onto parking mode when power is cut off.

In my Astra there was a spare ignition live under the cigarette socket. Is there one in the zafira too?
The Zaf B is based on the Astra H so I would imagine it's pretty similar.

4. I want to fit a double din android touch screen head unit. Found a few on amazon around the 拢250-300 mark that look quite good, but not named brands like Kenwood/Sony/Pioneer etc. Anyone fit similar and can recommend?
I fitted an Erisin in my Twintop (specifically this one) and can't fault it, it works as it should, it boots quick, it runs quick, sounds great and has the added advantage that you can still get into the BC menus.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

On the odo, makes sense what you're saying.

I picked the car up today 馃榿

The receipt shows a new engine amd gearbox at 66.5k in 2016. The MOT history shows 111k miles in 2019 iirc. Its currently done 117k.

If the engine and gearbox was replaced, would the timing belt be something that would have been changed as a part of the process?

I'm actually at the garage tomorrow morning to MOT my Astra so I'll get a quote anyway.

Tonight I saw the fan bodge for the first time. Its basically a thin wire coming from a manifold leading to a dial. Not sure how to remove it to be honest, i was expecting to see some kind of inline switch and I was going to just snip it and join the wires together. I looked at it in the dark down the pub so I'll grab some pics tomorrow 馃槀

Sounds like someone has fitted a Kenlow cooling fan kit.

Reactions: hongman

Registered
Change the cambelt as a priority and certainly before upgrading the stereo :)

It does sound like a Kenlowe electric fan control has been fitted. If it works reliably leave it alone. BUT ... get an ODB fault reader on it and make sure the ECU MIL (fault light) is actualy working.

Oh --- did I mention the cambelt? Change it first.... :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Little update, thanks for the replies guys.

Spoke to my local garage while the astra was in for mot and he said the same - kenlow.

No idea how to fix it though?

Also, dig through the receipts, and found one for a timing belt kit dated the same time as the engine swap 馃檪

The replacement engine and gearbox had 66k on it when fitted in 2016 and the car mileage was noted as 109k. Its only at 117k now! Only done 8k in 5 years 馃榿

Having a little poke around the car did trigger some other questions though.

I found a switch in the drivers footwell, with a black lead leading somewhere to the bottom front of the car. Cant trace it past that. Flicking it on and off doesnt seem to do anything. Any ideas guys?

Also, what do you do for cup holders? The one under the handbrake is basically inaccessible, especially as I'm a midget and have the seat (and therefore armrest) directly over it.

I'll attach some pics to next few posts

Kenlow fan controllers used to have a black control knob with white markings.

Glad to see my brain cell is still working!

Don't be afraid it's only nuts and bolts
Id say check the cambelt if it looks good then leave it for now due to mileage it鈥檚 done,stereo go for something like xtrons or a-sure as there built for Vauxhall and will work with canbus/steering controls like mine does ,big names like kenwood wont

There is a switched live extra plug by front *** lighter and for cup holders your limited unless you retro fit a vectra c rear cup holder above glove box and a vw single cup holder above light switch

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Id say check the cambelt if it looks good then leave it for now due to mileage it鈥檚 done,stereo go for something like xtrons or a-sure as there built for Vauxhall and will work with canbus/steering controls like mine does ,big names like kenwood wont

There is a switched live extra plug by front *** lighter and for cup holders your limited unless you retro fit a vectra c rear cup holder above glove box and a vw single cup holder above light switch

Mate those blue lights on your console look AMAZING!

I bought some blue leds for my astra, thinking it was plug and play but soon realised they take a load of soldering (which I am not great at)

Are those lights bulbs and easy to do?!

I found a zaffy double cup holder but its 35 quid. I'm not paying that

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Don't be afraid it's only nuts and bolts
Thanks bud i had a guy called AA SMD on Facebook do them or there鈥檚 another guy called gav shearwood that does them too,even with the double cup holder its so uncomfortable to have drinks there so much easier with it on the dash

1 - 20 of 38 Posts