Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the fuck!

Why the hell have Ford made this so complicated?

I'm guessing the whole hub units got to come out? I've gone to Partco and bought a replacement wheel bearing (which is two bearings?!), whipped off the hub nut expecting to be able to take off the ring underneath and slide off the old bearing, but no, looks like I have to remove the whole hub unit from the car, and I dread to think what I've got to do to drive out the old bearings once the hub is off.

Should I take the bearing back and just go and get another hub unit from a scrappy? If its going to be a load of arse to remove the bearings once the hub is removed, I'd rather not bother.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sod this, I've got it all apart, removed one wheel bearing, only to find that the hub end bearing is impossible to remove. Thats £24 down the drain, wish I'd just gone to the scrappy and bought the hub now! Grrrrr

·
Gas Powered
15,285 Posts
same as most bearings I expect including Cavaliers.

Hydraulic press to remove the bearing, and press in the new one.

·
Flibblemeister General
1,328 Posts
Yup, remove knuckle assembly, press out hub from the old bearing then press out the bearing from the knuckle. Refitting is reversal of removal to quote the book of lies and understatements. (Takes about five minutes with a proper press like we have at work. Sorry)

Should only be a one piece bearing on the front of a Mk3 Fiesta though. Ford part number 5024195 up to build date of 15/01/1994, then part number 1141771 from 15/01/1994 up to end of production 15/08/1996. (Both parts are £34.61 + VAT from Ford.)

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This hub has two bearings. either end of the hub. I'm going to cut my losses and goto the scrappy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts