Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had some experience with these awnings and how they can be fitted to a 2014 LWB Renault Trafic/Vivaro? I have removed the 3 roof bars on my van and am wondering if these awnings can be fitted using a ready made brackets to the existing roof holes which were meant for the roof bars? I dont want to fit one of these awnings permanently to my van as I would like to be able to easily remove it over the winter period. Does anyone know if this can be done?
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have looked at F45 and the brackets are fixed to curved part of side of roof from what I can see. I think the ally extrusion/awning assembly comes off the brackets easily but the brackets remain place.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi again, yes I've looked at these but I think they still need to be drilled into the van. I really don't want to cause another unnecessary leaking point. I have also seen the brackets which fit to the original sqared roof bars. The only thing here is that I don't always want to be driving around with noisy roof bars on top. I just want to be able to use the existing bolt holes on top of the van to fix the awning onto. I might need to fashion some kind of bracket myself.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not tried to remove it but basically it would involve removing 4 bolts which bolt the awning to the brackets
leaving the brackets on the van.

Alternatively if the inside of your van isn't fully lined the brackets could easily be removed & the holes made watertight over winter with rubber washers etc.

I realise it involves drilling holes (not your first choice) but it shouldn't cause any problems with water imo.

·
Registered
210 Posts
99 percent of Fiamma awnings I have fitted the brackets are bolted through the wall onto a small internal plate. A blob of good sealant around the holes keeps the water away. To remove the awning you undo the 8mm stainless bolts (some are riveted) and lift it off, 5 min job.

·
Registered
262 Posts
99 percent of Fiamma awnings I have fitted the brackets are bolted through the wall onto a small internal plate. A blob of good sealant around the holes keeps the water away. To remove the awning you undo the 8mm stainless bolts (some are riveted) and lift it off, 5 min job.
I would always use sealant instead of rubber washers which are inclined to go hard/crack/squeeze out

·
Registered
262 Posts
Mine bolted through but no issues.
I see it's LWB. Is it F45s 3m long? That is what I am looking at. I am having pop top fitted 6 Nov by Austops and wanted to see how the brackets fitted in relation to the roof

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes F45s 3m fits no higher than the pop top so handy for the height barriers.

Suggested rubber washers if Coastalpaddles was removing the brackets for the winter months then refitting in summer again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see it's LWB. Is it F45s 3m long? That is what I am looking at. I am having pop top fitted 6 Nov by Austops and wanted to see how the brackets fitted in relation to the roof
No I wasn't going for the F45 I was going to go for the F35 pro at 2.5m long, as I don't want one with a wind out mechanism. I think I'm just going o go to my local metal fabricator to get a couple of brackets made to fit where the roof bars are usually attached. Failing that, I've seen the brackets which fit onto the roof bars, therefore easy to remove without drilling or leaving the brackets on vehicle when the awning is not in use.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Lincolski. I did mount the F35 pro awning. I bought a pair of fiamma brackets to fit onto the roof of the LWB renault traffic (around £55 I think). They were easy to fit, although I didnt bother buying the tool to compress the rivnuts into the roof. I would recommend drilling the holes half a mm smaller then use a small rounded file to put the rivnuts in. You'll get a much tighter fit and the rivnuts won't turn as you tighten the nut. Check out some of the videos on youtube showing how to insert rivnuts without a special tool. Once the rivnuts were tightly in place, I used tec7 over the underside of the brackets and bolted them down tightly. I had already placed masking tape around the area where the tec7 would squeeze out so I could just wipe the tec7 silicone with my finger then remove the masking tape. The awning works really well but I won't be removing it as it is far too difficult to do without putting strain/bending the brackets once they are in place.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Many thanks for your reply, especially the bit about the rivnuts.
It was a concern regards access inside, as van is insulated and carpeted.
A sure case of measure twice (at least), drill once !!
Cheers

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Many thanks for your reply, especially the bit about the rivnuts.
It was a concern regards access inside, as van is insulated and carpeted.
A sure case of measure twice (at least), drill once !!
Cheers
No problem. Just make sure you have a sharp drill bit and I'm sure it will go fine. Good luck.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I hope nobody minds if I resurrect this thread.

According to these 2 websites, a SWB should use a 2.3 m awning and the LWB should use a 2.6 (not 3 m).
Which Fiamma Awning? | A guide for 01-14 Renault Trafic, Vauxhall Vivaro and Nissan Primastar

and
Fiamma F45 awning bracket - Renault Trafic / Vauxhall Vivaro / Nissan Primastar - Everything Fiamma

On the latter site it does say that a longer awning can be fitted but you will not be able to open the passenger-side door.
Is that the case with a 3 m awning because I do prefer to have the side door opening.

I have the proper tool for fitting rivnuts and when I fit them, small amount of thread lock on the outside. However these awnings are not lightweight and therefore I was going to use some panel adhesive in addition to the rivnuts I would have actually preferred it to be bolted right through to the inside with huge washers or a steel plate but like many others on here, the inside is already lined and from memory, that top corner, where the brackets go, is a double skin.
Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

On a different note, has anyone fitted a Fiamma rear storage box to a barn door van? I guess it would need to just go on to one door.

Thank you as always.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi there. I fitted the fiamma f35 pro 2.5m on a LWB 2014 trafic. You wouldn't want to put the 3m, as it won't fit without sticking out the back, therefore you won't be able to open the doors. It cant go over the cab towards the front doors as the cab roof goes up. I drilled the holes for the riv nuts (next time I'd drill slightly smaller, then file so riv nuts are super tight). I also used Tec7 (silicone type product which is very strong) all underneath the bracket and around the riv nuts. I masked all around where the brackets would be fitted so that when the bracket was tightened down, the Tec7 squeezed out and i could wipe around the edges, then remove masking tape for a clean finish. Leave overnight and job done! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Apologies Touchwoodsden and Coastalpaddles.
You are both correct the Fiamma f45s fitted on my 2014 is 2.6m and not 3m as stated ?

As an update last year someone tried to prise off my awning whilst abroad ?

Thankfully the rivnuts held the brackets in place but left dents below allowing the brackets to move.
I could only do a temporary repair until we got back home but decided on fitting 2 extra brackets as the original ones had to be filled with a liquid steel filler which came recommended (has been fine but I worried it might crack) hence the fitting of extra brackets
which cost about £50 the pair.
All 4 brackets were bedded on to the van using Sikaflex and rivnuts which surprised me as to how strong they held whilst the would be thieves tried to prise them off.
Drilling out and fitting the rivnuts/brackets is really straight forward and surprisingly strong.
Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Vehicle door Bumper

1 - 19 of 19 Posts