Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
KIWI meaty girl...
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard from the bloke who bought Carly and she's rotten to buggery underneath. He can't understand how she even passed an MOT as she did. I feel dreadful cos I never knew she was rotten. Rich even had a look under her when she had the MOT done and was up on the ramps and couldn't see anything bad but the guy has now had to break her for parts to try and get some money back.

I hate cars. Even though I sold her over 2 months ago now I still feel awful as I thought she was ok - not perfect but certainly not rotten to bits as he's now saying she is. I hate the thought that he thinks I knowingly sold him a dodgy motor.

Do I need to get over it or am I right to feel bad?

:(

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Maybe hes lying about it?

Can understand why you feel bad though, I still miss my dads Antibes lol

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
You knew that car more than anyone jo,i'm sure if it was as bad as he's saying it was you would of noticed.

Lets face it,some people have broken cars foe a very small amout of rust where others wouldn't think twice about getting it fixed,maybe he was one of those who saw something that really wasn't there and broke it anyway.me thinks he was pulling a guilty vote with you tbh.

Dont worry about it,whats gone is gone.

·
Peace Upon the Children
2,002 Posts
dont worry bout it, you sold it on, he bought it. he could have had it checked out if he was that bothered.
he could be lieing to try and play you?

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Carlychick said:
Just heard from the bloke who bought Carly and she's rotten to buggery underneath. He can't understand how she even passed an MOT as she did. I feel dreadful cos I never knew she was rotten. Rich even had a look under her when she had the MOT done and was up on the ramps and couldn't see anything bad but the guy has now had to break her for parts to try and get some money back.

I hate cars. Even though I sold her over 2 months ago now I still feel awful as I thought she was ok - not perfect but certainly not rotten to bits as he's now saying she is. I hate the thought that he thinks I knowingly sold him a dodgy motor.

Do I need to get over it or am I right to feel bad?

:(
If he feels that he has a justified problem with the car, he can always take it up with the MOT testing station that did the car.

I had this with a Senator in Weymouth. I bought it for £120 off Ebay, I needed the white panels for my Ex-Police Senny, and the plan was to swap the panels over, because the Senator I bought for parts had 10 months of MOT left on it.

Went to jack the thing up, and the jack disappeared into the sill!!

I called up the station that did it and they tried to fob me off that they can't take the sideskirt off, which is true, they can't. But the thing with Senators is that the jacking point on a Senator is exposed and not covered by the side skirt. As soon as they realised, they wanted to do a deal.

I gave them three choices:
1). They come and take the car (I wasn't going to drive it back from Bristol to Weymouth).
2). They send me a cheque to cover the cost of the car once cleared I would cut out the VIN Numbers and send to them so that they knew it was scrapped.
3). Report it to VOSA.

They opted for Option number 2. I raped that Senator for every good bit, got a set of alloys for my Police Senator, all the panels I needed, plus I got my money back.

I wouldn't stress about it, you complied with the law getting it MOT'd.

·
KIWI meaty girl...
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kai said:
dont worry bout it, you sold it on, he bought it. he could have had it checked out if he was that bothered.
he could be lieing to try and play you?
No, I don't think so. He's not been in contact directly, I just saw he was selling some parts off her on another forum and asked how the project was going to which he replied saying it's not cos she was rotten.

Just feel a bit guilty but looking at the prices he is charging for the parts, he'll easily get the money back he paid for her (which was a bargain price, trust me!)

Ho hum...

·
KIWI meaty girl...
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Galahad said:
If he feels that he has a justified problem with the car, he can always take it up with the MOT testing station that did the car.

I had this with a Senator in Weymouth. I bought it for £120 off Ebay, I needed the white panels for my Ex-Police Senny, and the plan was to swap the panels over, because the Senator I bought for parts had 10 months of MOT left on it.

Went to jack the thing up, and the jack disappeared into the sill!!

I called up the station that did it and they tried to fob me off that they can't take the sideskirt off, which is true, they can't. But the thing with Senators is that the jacking point on a Senator is exposed and not covered by the side skirt. As soon as they realised, they wanted to do a deal.

I gave them three choices:
1). They come and take the car (I wasn't going to drive it back from Bristol to Weymouth).
2). They send me a cheque to cover the cost of the car once cleared I would cut out the VIN Numbers and send to them so that they knew it was scrapped.
3). Report it to VOSA.

They opted for Option number 2. I raped that Senator for every good bit, got a set of alloys for my Police Senator, all the panels I needed, plus I got my money back.

I wouldn't stress about it, you complied with the law getting it MOT'd.
The MOT was done last September before the new rules came in and he lives 250 miles away so I doubt he'd take it up as they would simply say it rotted between the MOT and now.

I loved that car... :cry:

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Carlychick said:
The MOT was done last September before the new rules came in and he lives 250 miles away so I doubt he'd take it up as they would simply say it rotted between the MOT and now.

I loved that car... :cry:
An independent VOSA inspector would judge the car. There is no new rules that determine if the MOT is a **** job. This Senator I bought was 3 years ago.

Cars do rot, but to the level this guy is suggesting it has in 6 months, I'd ignore it, sounds like he's trying it on.

·
15,300 Posts
Its his problem for not checking it before he brought it.
I take it you stated "sold as seen" on the reciept?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would'nt worry thats his look out to make sure hes happy with what hes buying, if you don't know about cars and your buying one, make sure you take someone who does...

·
VXON SirTalkalot
4,635 Posts
when buying second hand cars, its a case or bought as seen, don`t feel bad, he should have bought a mechanic with him or looked himself

·
KIWI meaty girl...
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeh I did put Sold as Seen on the receipt on advice of someone else.

I guess it's buyer beware huh?

If I'd known, I would have broken her for bits myself and made a lot more money for her.

·
CavWeb's Official Penis!
5,913 Posts
Depends upon how much you sold it for. It it was under £500 then don't feel too bad. If it was £1000+ then you should feel a bit bad. He should have checked it out but if he took your word for it that it was tidy underneath then you should feel a bit bad.

People think that its ok to be dishonest in the second hand car market...I don't think it is. Not that you are, but if you said it wasn't rotten then I think you should take some responsibility for the guys loss..

·
KIWI meaty girl...
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was much less than a grand but more than £500. I'm no expert Colin and he's talking about rust around the diff. Short of pulling the axle apart, how would I know that?

I do accept I said I believed it was solid but I also commented that it's a 15 year old car that's not had a lot of use the last year or so.

·
aka wallop
945 Posts
why should you feel bad if he couldn't be bothered to check it out himself.
buyer beware im afraid, just the chance you take when buying any used item.

·
Banned
14,579 Posts
I wouldn't worry Jo, you've done nothing wrong.

I operate on a strict "once its gone its not my problem" basis. Your selling the car, its up to the buyer to make sure it is what they want, thats why you check a car over before you buy

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,788 Posts
You sly scheming cow!!

50 Hail Mary's...................NOW!!!!!

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
The phrase 'Sold as seen' springs to mind. Did you force him to buy it at gunpoint? Thought not.

I can understand you feeling a bit bad about it but you didn't set out to deliberately deceive him and this is always a risk you take when buying any second-hand car. It's unfortunate but these things happen, so don't worry about it. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
its a case of different peoples opinions of what is and is not economical
to repair,what is one's pride and joy is someone else's daily hack!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts