Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On april 12th I had new dampers and springs fitted to the front of my Astra3. The springs boinged and twanged for a while after - I assumed they were settling.

Recently, I've posted about knocking over uneven surfaces..a lot of you have said "Wishbone bushes". Tonight, I opened the bonnet to give it a look for anything loose as it seems to have got worse.

I saw a damp patch on the wishbone, and jacked it up. Whipped the wheel off, and the wishbone is utterly soaked over every inch. The wishbone, entire length of the strut, ARB and the first half of the DS driveshaft is wet with something oily. So it the area of the inner arch surrounding the shaft. I thought "CVs". The boots are dry and intact both ends, and the shaft is dry past the vibration damper.

Back of the engine seems to have no leaks either. Sump etc is dry.

The oily liquid seems quite thin..doesn't smell of much, no colour apart from dirt. The car is very easy to bounce and now squelches as it does so.

I did notice the handling had got a bit "boaty" the last few days..I thought my tyre pressures were off. Now I'm wondering if my new dampers have failed and dumped the fluid all over the wishbone etc..is this a possibility?

What is the normal guarantee period on new suspension dampers? Surely a failure after maybe 4k and 5 months is not normal?

EDIT: Pics.

Strut/hub and arch

Strut top half - the internal rod and area are drenched with this thin "oil"

See how the steering arm is dry, but the strut is soaked.

Driveshaft wet, soaked wishbone, soaked ARB, yet dry CV boots/chassis

G

·
HAs to be the dampers fecked mate.
Should be nice and firm if new, not be able to push car down more than inch or so. Oil sounds about right too.
5 months is a bit sad though, would seek out a refund for sure.

Edit/ All info and pics seem to point to the dampers, although have mot'd 1000's of cars, and never seen much more than a little wetness, not a complete covering like that, spectacular.
As with all leaks, clean it all up, take for a spin, and observe and feel rod/piston.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's only 1 failed. I know for a fact that when I changed the oil/filter 3 weeks ago that the setup was bone dry..I went over the underside of the car to make sure I had no oil leaks/drips anywhere while it was on the ramps. I'm thinking a manufacturing problem affecting this strut.

Sods law, schools have gone back and I'm at work every day, as well as driving Jem. I'll see if I can get a day off for Friday when she's not in work and get the car back to the bloke that did the initial replacements. That way, he's got Friday and saturday to sort it. I might also say "do the wishbone bushes both sides" at the same time.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a bit late tonight, and I'm knackered..I'll clean it up tomorrow night when I come back. That means I can test it on a "normal" run dropping Jem and going to work on Thursday.

The road to Jems work is covered in speedbumps, then it moves onto an uneven road that slopes left/right alternatly, with peaks and dips in..real rollercoaster road. Then it passes onto a road that is half wood slats, half tarmac. That should give the strut a good workout..:grrr

God knows, I feel sorry for the car on that road...I'm glad it's not been lowered..:lmao:

G

·
Must be able to tell from bouncing each corner?
V6 cav I had had interesting handling - when changing shocks one of them was going back in under it's own weight lol!

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh, I can bounce my side quite well. If I bounce the front from the slam panel, it bounces quite freely once started..next to no effort needed to keep it bouncing.

Lots of oily "squish/squelch" noises as it does it..sound like some air in it too. She's definetly been firmer..:D PSF damper setup is as dry as a bone and considerably more "squeaky"(bushes?) and less "squelchy" when bounced.

G

·
Had many cavaliers.... all treated to new shocks. Take a lot of effort to push a corner down much, and no hope really from the slam panel.
Unless you go silly of course :eh

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm only 11st at most..:lmao: "Going silly" usually acheives nothing with the Astra. This is not a hard car to bounce, and once started, I could do it one handed.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, I've endured rattly/banging suspension all day. I had a front wheel lockup for no reason going downhill earlier, which may be related, and I've now dug out the paperwork for the shocks/springs.

Fitted 12/04/06.

Stock code Description Price
CS4094615 F/Spring £32.00 x2
MONMR258 F/Shock £35.00 x2

Mmm. Methinks them there shockers can be removed and sent back to maker..:down:

·
Registered
142 Posts
If they are new and from a reputable maker they normally carry a 12 months warranty. Although you may have to pay the labour for fitting a replacement. Speak to you garage mate.

G

·
If they are new and from a reputable maker they normally carry a 12 months warranty. Although you may have to pay the labour for fitting a replacement. Speak to you garage mate.
Everything you buy is covered by implied terms that mean they have to be fit for purpose and of acceptable quality (Sale of Goods act 1990). If you paid the same company to supply AND fit them, then you are entitled to get them to sort it for nowt, because effectively you've already paid them and they haven't delivered. The sad fact is, most companies these days are out to rip us off, you just have to know your rights and don't take any :turd

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's going back in tomorrow, 9am..:) Fingers crossed.

Just to really kick me in the nads, I started her this morning and the engine was running on 3 until I booted it for 20 seconds, then I reversed out the drive fine. Put it into Drive, and got the dreaded flashing "S" fault lamp for the autobox.

A restart cleared that, and the box sounds fine..I'm going to check the oil, but it was as damp as you like this morning..my suspicions lie with the selector switch.

This car hates me..:)

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just been to the fitter, up on the ramps - "oh hell..it HAS exloded, hasn't it? Right. We'll shout at our supplier, and get you another unit, no problems. Bring it back next Saturday, we'll have you in and out in no time."

I do like this garage..:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts