Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 Elite Has The Following Fault Codes, 31,129 And 132. Can Anyone Tell Me What The Codes Mean And What Action I Need To Take. The Car Drives Fine And I'm Not Aware Of Any Problems.
Cheers
Dave

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dave :)
Did you pull the codes with the engine running?
DO you have the engine light on?

Ok, code 31 is crank sensor no signal. This usually means your crank sensor is on its way out. Easy fix if it fails
Noticed any problems with starting? Car misfiring over 4k rpm?

No idea what the heck 129 is...

132 is exhaust gas recirculation valve low voltage.
The EGR sits on the left side of the engine, it is attached via a bracket.
Check the connections as low voltage often means it is not connected! :)

Good luck :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for that, the engine was not running, just the ignition on, not noticed any misfire. the light comes on after heavy acceleration and sometimes if i am sat in traffic.
cheers for the quick reply

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ok

Fault codes

129 - EGR feedback voltage low
132 - EGR feedback incorrect signal

So I'd check the EGR as LB has already said. This information comes straight from the TIS, apparently the ignition will retard itself for safety reasons. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
You will get 31 no rpm signal when the engine isn't running, thats normal.

daveselite said:
thanks for that, the engine was not running, just the ignition on, not noticed any misfire. the light comes on after heavy acceleration and sometimes if i am sat in traffic.
cheers for the quick reply

L

·
0 Posts
Geffd said:
You will get 31 no rpm signal when the engine isn't running, thats normal.
Sorry Geff I have to disagree there.

When the engine is not running but the ignition is on you will receive a code 19, "incorrect rpm signal". This is bcause the crank is not rotating so there is a signal, it is just in the wrong place.

A code 31 is no engine rpm signal. This is created when the crank sensor is breaking down and is unable to transmit a signal.

Keep an eye on it.

The EGR certainly needs to be looked at, that will flash up problems the way you have described.

L

·
0 Posts
:lmao: Hardly... :lmao:

Geffd knows more than I ever will!
I just happen to believe he was mistaken on that comment. :)

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I'd have to side with Geff.

I have always had error 31 if I check the fault codes with the engine off.

Car runs and starts absolutely fine and is clean as a whistle at MoT emissions time.

I have replaced the crank sensor too - had error 31 before I changed the sensor and after (with the engine off).

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is from the TIS on fault code 31.

Trouble code 31 is always displayed when the ignition is switched on. As soon as an engine speed signal is received from the pulse pick-up sensor on starting, the fault is deleted and does not remain stored if the system is intact .

So it really depends what vaxuhall consider the engine being switched on counts as, actual ignition or moving the key to position II.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Strangely, mine only gives 19 when engine not started. If it makes a difference, mine is a 98 MV6. Maybe it is ECU dependent?

L

·
0 Posts
It is a weird one, there are 2 seperate codes for a reason as far as I am concerned.

I have always found a code 19 with engine off, and a 31 when sensor is not long for this world (which also makes sense with the descriptions of the codes).

I pass this over to the all knowing one... ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well,

according to the TIS

19 - Incorrect RPM signal

• Since ignition ON, there has been already one start with correct synchronisation
  • Engine speed is greater than 520 rpm
  • Incorrect engine speed signal recognised
    (intermittent problems, missing teeth, wrong reference point, incorrect gap position, etc.)
Effect:
  • Current values are used for the mixture adaptation and demand adaptation.
    Calculated values are used for idle control adaptation and characteristic curve adaptation.
31 - No RPM signal

• Ignition ON
  • Engine speed is less than 23 rpm
  • Following trouble codes not stored: 19
  • Since ignition ON, there has not yet been a start with correct synchronisation
Effect:
  • Current values are used for the mixture adaptation and demand adaptation.
    Calculated values are used for idle control adaptation and characteristic curve adaptation.
Note:
Trouble code 31 is always displayed when the ignition is switched on. As soon as an engine speed signal is received from the pulse pick-up sensor on starting, the fault is deleted and does not remain stored if the system is intact .

I'm assuming the 23rpm is a typo as it seems a little low.

Also if I follow the diagnostic through both fault codes lead to replacing the sensor. But I think 31 replace sensor, 19 might be something else causing the problem but probably replace sensor. Unless you take it to a Vauxhall garage them it's replace ECU. This is from the Motronic 2.8.1 which is in the x25xe and x30xe engines

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I think mine is Motronic 2.8.1

When my cranksensor failed, I had code 19 (not 31). Just to be sure that I had cured the problem after changing cranksensor, I kept checking for weeks afterwards, and always got a 19 with ign on, engine not running, and nothing with engine running....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just check codes with engine running and code 31 does not show an error, its just 129 and 132, the fault only illuminates after a bit of right foot action then goes off. i haven't noticed any change in the way the engine pulls or runs, what does the EGR doany way.
cheers for all the help fellas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts