Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of a problem with my speedo - it overreads but 5-10mph. The amount it overreads by seems to change day to day and does appear to be linear.

I had to adjust the mileage (legally) when i changed to a unit with a speed sensor and hence had to strip the thing down.

What I'm thinking the problem is, is that I have re-applied the speedo needle in the wrong postion. When I re-assembled the unit i put the needle on at 90 degrees i.e. resting on the needle stop.

Perhaps i should have put the needle on pointing below the needle rest then wound it forward to the horizontal position?

Failing that, anyone have a W=1742 speedo for sale with 137,000 miles on it? :Cool2:

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
my envoys speedo has 157 or something on them..

·
Banned
14,579 Posts
Youve messed it up by doing what you did when you took off the needle Steve.

Looks like only way to sort it is a new set of clocks, or drive behind someone at a known 30mph and stick the needle back on

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Andy M said:
Youve messed it up by doing what you did when you took off the needle Steve.

Looks like only way to sort it is a new set of clocks, or drive behind someone at a known 30mph and stick the needle back on
Or, do you have GPS? :D:Cool2:

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andy M said:
or drive behind someone at a known 30mph and stick the needle back on
Easier said than done!!! :lmao:

Thing is, if i get a new speedo unit I have to do all that to alter the mileage to the correct value for the car anyway. Conundrum.

·
Banned
14,579 Posts
You do realise theres an easier way to alter the mileage?

Use a precision screwdriver to chip the digits round

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Speedo for sale

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Andy M said:
You do realise theres an easier way to alter the mileage?

Use a precision screwdriver to chip the digits round
Wasn't aware of that method... didn't think you could as theyre all interlocked.
And surely to get to that you need to prise the needle and plastic face off anyway?

Envoy CDX said:
Speedo for sale
Mileage?
W= ?

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
cavtastic said:
Wasn't aware of that method... didn't think you could as theyre all interlocked.
And surely to get to that you need to prise the needle and plastic face off anyway?

Mileage?
W= ?
157000 ishm w1742 or 1472 cant remember exactly - will check when i get home.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
cavtastic said:
don't worry about it, mileage far too high anyway
fair enough. pretty sure I could have put it back for you.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kcmillar said:
if you take the screen back off and pull the needle stop out take the needle off you can then reposition your needle further down(against the spring tension) i'm sure it sits around the 7 o'clock mark

cheers
thats what i thought... i put the needle back on facing 9 o' clock and it over-reads so you are probably right.

thanks mate

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just to point out that it was indeed the position i put the needle back on, thanks for your help - all sorted now ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts