Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after looking for new used parts and getting quotes etc i've given up!
how the hell can vx ask £180 for a wing mirror! or £83 for a rear light unit! they don't even keep parts in stock for christ sake.
i have tried scrappys and used parts dealers etc but for the price there asking i might aswell buy new!

so i've gone overseas to the states!
i didn't know this till i looked it up but the sintra is the same as a chevy venture as well as 4 other american mini vans.

after browsing us parts networks i have found the on average the costs are that low its unreal!
example wing mirrors £40 ish dependant on site, lights units £25, now your probably thinking what about carriage/postage etc, well i have a friend that moving to phonenix at the end of the month for 3 yrs and has agreed to get the parts and ship them across for me.
we are looking to sort shippings costs out etc, but wanted to know, if i was to ask if anyone from here if they would like some info etc on new parts from the states please feel free to ask and i can sort something out etc

please forgive me about my wording but i've been on nites lately

sites to look at are
http://replacement.carjunky.com/parts/carjunky/parts.jsp?year=1997&make=CV&model=VENT--001

http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByVehicle/CHEVROLET/VENTURE

example, i know its probs chavvy etc but hey!
these ain't avalible here

if your intrested, drop me a line as the more people that are intrested i maybe able to get a bulk order done, but note the us sites don't ship to the uk! mainland states only hence why i'm asking as i have a us residence to post too hehe!

scotty 07754743097

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clock displays tend to be the same across the vx range of that yr, as for the fog lamp, scappys, or ebay (sellers that a breaking)
clock display again ebay or vx if you want to be ripped off!, main parts that are british were the right h/d headlights, smoked rear lense, the engine bits, everthing else is american inc interior/exterior/chassis inc bearings, hubs etc

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
I have sourced track rod ends and a fuel pump for my Sintra last year in the USA with shipping and tax was still around half price compared to UK prices. Vauxhall wanted £35 per track rod end and it was going to take them 3 days to get them. I got a pair for £38 from the USA in 5 days.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Also, be aware that Sintras were slated in the Encap ratings and you only see them on R,S and maybe T plates. I wonder why?
Yes they have their problems and they were very poorly supported by Vauxhall. They were built in the US imported and sold in Europe to plug the gap in the MPV market as the Zafira was still under development.It's a popular misconception that the Sintra was the predeceor to the Zafira which is a much smaller vehicle. Nothing to do with encap ratings. You do see some on P plates they were sold here from 97 to 99 all with Vauxhall engines and gearboxes.

In the US it was known as the Chevrolet Venture, Oldsmobile Silhouette and Pontiac Tran Sport & Montana and were built in the US until 2005 and I have been told production continues in China though I don't know under what name.

I have owned a 1998 Chrysler Voyager ( poor ratings as well) and hired a Zafira. I much prefer the Sintra all the rear seats are easy to remove as they are much lighter than the Voyager seats which is great as I have recently moved house.

I find it a very comfortable and have been driving up to 800 miles a week in it, as I've been moving from Devon to Derby. I have converted it LPG I calculate roughly it's giving me a running cost of around 50 mpg which isn't bad for a car that weighs just under 2.5 tons.

The 3.0 V6 is the same as fitted to the Omega MV6 which develops arond 210bhp! so all the common engine problems the X25XE (2.5) and X30XE(3.0) engines have the Sintra has also inherited such as the leaking rocker covers!

Sintra's aren't popular which tends to make them cheap and if you can repair them yourself I think they represent excellent value for money if you have need for a MPV.

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
I really liked the look and size of the Sintra, but when considering the Encap side of things, The Zafira made more sense for my needs.

The Sintra does look like the big brother to the Zaf, but you can see that the floorpan and chassis is based on somethings else. Is it Omega or Vectra?

One of the things I don't like about the Sintra and also the Galaxy and Voyager is that to gain the boot space, you need to remove the seats and store them somewhere. That's one thing that the Zaf does well and apparently the new Voyager has Stow and Go seats?

How wide is the Sintra?

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
The Sintra does look like the big brother to the Zaf, but you can see that the floorpan and chassis is based on somethings else. Is it Omega or Vectra?
Being an American GM car and having owned a 1998 Chrysler Voyager it seems to have more in common with the Chrysler than any Vauxhall i know having a very similar chassis layout to the Voyager. Both having flat Transit van type floor layouts. Though the front chassis rails to my way of thinking are a much weaker design than the Voyager, hence I assume the need for reinforcing struts in the engine bay. I have actually witnessed an RTA involving a Sintra running into the back of another car! the front crumpled very easily! maybe that's a good thing as far as passenger safety goes?

One of the things I don't like about the Sintra and also the Galaxy and Voyager is that to gain the boot space, you need to remove the seats and store them somewhere. That's one thing that the Zaf does well and apparently the new Voyager has Stow and Go seats?
All the rear seats on the 7 seat option can be removed individually and are relatively light and easy to lift unlike the Voyager seats. You don't need to remove the seats to gain reasonable boot space as the rear seats fold down flat and then can be hinged up against the middle row. Though obviously taking all 5 rear seats out gives a very large area. All rear seats except the 2nd row middle seat can be placed in any rear position. To gain access to the 3rd row 1 seat has to be folded up out of the way to allow access which though a pain is better I feel than the Zafira as all the occupants of the middle row don't have to get out.

I also have the 8 seat option were the 2 individual 3rd row seats are replaced by a triple rear bench which also folds flat and can be hinged up against the 2nd row.

Unfortunately the load liner can't really be stored in the car when not in use, and can only be used when the 3rd row of seats has either been folded down or removed!!

How wide is the Sintra?
According to the 1998 sales brochure width is 2177mm including door mirrors 1830mm without.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts