Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Facelift or not?

4K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  robbra 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,
Had a good search but not found any answers.
This week I'm going hunting for a Vivaro, (GM) after 10 years with a T5.
I'd like some views regarding the pre and post 2014 vans.
There is quite a price difference between the old and newer designs with similar age and mileage. I like the newer design despite that large chunk of black plastic.
Generally I'm interested in pros and cons of either, which engines/bhp and views on the Renault and Nissan versions. What faults should I be looking for? Mileage no more than 70,000 but can go much lower and newer for vans that are a better bet
Put simply...don't hold back, what do you think?
Thanks
Rob

#3 ·
Thanks Billy,
I've noticed they're quite close but the facelift is more expensive down on here on the south coast. I have driven the old type and found it smoother and quieter than the T5, will try the newer one this week.
I was really wondering if there are significant differences like engines mods etc. or is it just cosmetic.

#4 ·
the newer shape uses a 1.6 turbo or biturbo. not my cup of tea plus i don’t like the front end.
i’ll be upgrading next year maybe, will be looking for a 2.0 2014 old shape with low miles or a lwb transit custom .
don’t fancy shelling out thousands on a 1.6 with 70k as you mentioned earlier. I see that as big money on a workhorse thats near the end of it’s use.

#5 ·
Are they that bad? You've got me thinking, it'd only just run in at 70k. 250k seems common on a T5 and sold mine easily with 92k. 1.6 does seem small for the size of the van even with a turbo so will give any test drive a real trial.
No decisions made so still open minded.
Thanks for your input.

#8 ·
New shape wasn't my cup of tea either. Driving position felt cramped and visibility wasn't as good. I got one at 70k and it felt very tired inside, everything rattled and buttons and door handles were ready to fall off, whereas my old 2004 van still felt comfy and solid.

Plus side, it went very well on the motorway, I kind of liked the looks, the new dash was nice and its a bit longer.

I really did not like the 1.6 engine. Despite being better specced on paper there's just something about the way it drives that felt off and the mpg figures are a lie. Oh and it blew up haha. Piston ring failure. Gave it back and got a refund.

Bought a top spec 2013 old shape with the money and it has been great bar a whiny gearbox. Very comfy. A bit dated but solid inside and out, nice and quiet, and more poke than I expected.

#11 ·
Despite what you have read the newer van is a peach. I had the 2006 one for 9 years & it was a great van. The 2016 one is quieter, much more powerful & drives like a Limo. Only ball ache is they have a tendency for the radio to keep switching off & back on, which so far not sure they have sorted out. A cam bus thing. I had my Bi-turbo chipped to 165 & so far 100% Nearly 10 mpg better too than the old 1.9.

#12 ·
I agree, much better than the T5 and although the lowest BHP it pulls well but I keep forgetting there are 6 gears.
A few niggles,
The windows aren't auto and I have to hold the switch all the way. Tried holding it for 10 seconds but no change
The dip switch is clunky and is slow to change from dip to main beam and back.
I need cruise so any recommendations welcome, CANM8 do a kit, £225 but not sure how plug and play it is.
Cigarette lighter goes off with the key so I want to connect it permanently and a couple of power USB.
No workshop manual.
I want to raise the drivers seat as the floor is too high.
Apart from that it's great.

#13 ·
Cannot help with cruise. The Sportive comes with just about everything you would ever need. Cruise, speed limiter, stop-start, eco mode, integrated bluetooth. The drivers window is one touch & thought yours would be too. Also you can load a full 8x4 in the back SWB. + load through for long pipe etc. My dip sw is fine so maybe you need to look at yours.

#14 ·
I've got stop-start as I found out driving in London, thought I'd stalled it, eco and bluetooth(but won't use it). I also think I have hill assist. I'll have the dip switch out when it stops raining:). Will insulate roof and behind panels, carpet them but not bother with the metal this time. Windows in both sliders and ply line the roof, make a pod for the fridge and get over to Portugal in the new year. It won't all be done by then.
Rob

#16 ·
Hi Steve,
Yours looks good, Love the colour.
I've never been one for modding outside, too muddy with tractors and muddy roads about here so will use the same original wheels and fit mudflaps. If I lowered mine it'd be like a snow plough for cow pats.
I have a Sony radio I had in the T5 for 3 months, I'd love to swap it but isn't it linked to some kind of diagnostics? Not sure.
Just had to get a new key..£145, the price of living in Dorset! Found an ad for a place in Leeds, £95 but too far to drive:D
Can't wait for this rain to stop so I can get outside and do things to it. Windows on the sliders to be booked and some Altro ordered.
Rob

#17 ·
There must be a link to system on radio as the one I have fitted came with a free OBD diagnostic which is permanently fitted & I can see all sorts of blurb on the radio. Having said that it is Bluetooth connected. I have my front & raer camera's connected through it. It did take me ages to get everything working correctly & to marry up with the wheel controls.

#19 ·
I got the double DIN Xtrons Chinese unit which was £199. But then bought the DAB adapter, reverse camera, forward camera & the correct adapter harness so everything works correctly, like the steering wheel controls etc. Also a new surround. It still shuts down every now & then just like the standard radio did. My mates van does it too. Usualy when you pull up or accelerate. We think it is CAN bus related & keep on about connecting the unit to some other supply. It is a pain because it is a full Android unit & when it shuts down, it takes like 45 seconds to reboot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.