Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Had a good search but not found any answers.
This week I'm going hunting for a Vivaro, (GM) after 10 years with a T5.
I'd like some views regarding the pre and post 2014 vans.
There is quite a price difference between the old and newer designs with similar age and mileage. I like the newer design despite that large chunk of black plastic.
Generally I'm interested in pros and cons of either, which engines/bhp and views on the Renault and Nissan versions. What faults should I be looking for? Mileage no more than 70,000 but can go much lower and newer for vans that are a better bet
Put simply...don't hold back, what do you think?
Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Billy,
I've noticed they're quite close but the facelift is more expensive down on here on the south coast. I have driven the old type and found it smoother and quieter than the T5, will try the newer one this week.
I was really wondering if there are significant differences like engines mods etc. or is it just cosmetic.

·
Premium Member
4,641 Posts
the newer shape uses a 1.6 turbo or biturbo. not my cup of tea plus i don’t like the front end.
i’ll be upgrading next year maybe, will be looking for a 2.0 2014 old shape with low miles or a lwb transit custom .
don’t fancy shelling out thousands on a 1.6 with 70k as you mentioned earlier. I see that as big money on a workhorse thats near the end of it’s use.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are they that bad? You've got me thinking, it'd only just run in at 70k. 250k seems common on a T5 and sold mine easily with 92k. 1.6 does seem small for the size of the van even with a turbo so will give any test drive a real trial.
No decisions made so still open minded.
Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
4,641 Posts
1.6? once it shows 100k+ to me ,it’ll be seriously devalued and you’ll have paid good money for it.
it’s just my view.
I’m in no way saying it’s not a good van. you can’t compare it to a vw in terms of mileage or resale.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going to see some tomorrow, VWs down here are not too much more expensive but mine was trouble from 23k, new head, dmf/clutch and driveshaft then emissions. Not that great.
Will see what happens.
Rob

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
New shape wasn't my cup of tea either. Driving position felt cramped and visibility wasn't as good. I got one at 70k and it felt very tired inside, everything rattled and buttons and door handles were ready to fall off, whereas my old 2004 van still felt comfy and solid.

Plus side, it went very well on the motorway, I kind of liked the looks, the new dash was nice and its a bit longer.

I really did not like the 1.6 engine. Despite being better specced on paper there's just something about the way it drives that felt off and the mpg figures are a lie. Oh and it blew up haha. Piston ring failure. Gave it back and got a refund.

Bought a top spec 2013 old shape with the money and it has been great bar a whiny gearbox. Very comfy. A bit dated but solid inside and out, nice and quiet, and more poke than I expected.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Coire,
Testing a few 2013/4 Trafics tomorrow, found them £6500, no VAT around 40000 miles, could be a find as most newer are up around 65/80k and save me about £5000. Fingers crossed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts