Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

f28 advice

589 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  danhays 
#1 ·
hi people i have a 99 vectra 2.5 v6 cd, was wondering if a f28 gearbox would fit straight in or would it need any modifications to housing or mounts? the reason i ask is that ive been told that the current gearboxes are not very reliable if you have a heavy right foot, is this true or am i being fed sh*t

#4 ·
do you know if the mating plate is jus a spacer or does it rotate the gearbox slightly, as far as im aware it seems to be just a 23mm spacer if so i will be gettin in touch with a local engineering firm to find the cost of it to be laser cut, the bloke on vvoc is after 150 quid for this to ne made in 3 separate pieces (2x10mm 1x3mm) nd is after a minimum of 5 orders at a time, surely this can be done cheaper???

#6 ·
do you know if the mating plate is jus a spacer or does it rotate the gearbox slightly, as far as im aware it seems to be just a 23mm spacer if so i will be gettin in touch with a local engineering firm to find the cost of it to be laser cut, the bloke on vvoc is after 150 quid for this to ne made in 3 separate pieces (2x10mm 1x3mm) nd is after a minimum of 5 orders at a time, surely this can be done cheaper???
TBH mate Ive no idea, its only what ive picked up by reading vvoc. £150 is well expensive. If we could find out how thick it is etc i may be able to knock you one up at work.

#7 ·
wud prefer to keep original flywheel nd clutch as it was only replaced middle of last year, is it possible to retain original mounts with the spacer also wot modifications would be neccasary regarding driveshafts, speedo and hydrualic clutch ??

#8 ·
once i manage to find a decent box for the right money ill have a little play using lengths of tubing acting as spacers on the bolts so i am able to see how things fit inside but i am pretty sure i found a post on vvoc saying it was 23mm am pressuming it was made in 3 parts for 1 side to hav lugs goin to box then spacer then ova side with lugs goin to block, however in my opinion this wud be better if the lugs were remade length wise so they went from box through plate then into bloke otherwise they serve no purpose, the plate wud also be cheaper to produce in one piece rather than making 3 seperate plates also the ones on vvoc are made frm steel wen alloy wud be better for weight saving afterall this is meant to aid acceleration

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.