Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2WD Cav GSI and would like to put in a F28 gear box.
I have a few questions about this if any of you can help.

I have heared that the F28 gives faster acceleration than the F20 - Is this true?

If I got one with cable speedo drive, will I need to changed the speed ring for the one from a F20? Oh and what is a speed ring and is it easy to change?

How do I make it 2WD from 4x4 and will I have to?

Are the mounting the same?

Can I use the same clutch that I have fitted to my F20?

Any thing I've forgot to ask about?

Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
I have heared that the F28 gives faster acceleration than the F20 - Is this true? Don't know, I fitted a LET at the same time as the F28.

If I got one with cable speedo drive, will I need to changed the speed ring for the one from a F20? Oh and what is a speed ring and is it easy to change? Yes, your F20 clocks will not read correctly on a F28. You can change the speedo drive (not sure how easy that is though) of fit a set of Cavalier/Calibra Turbo mechanical clocks which will plug straight in.

How do I make it 2WD from 4x4 and will I have to? You will have to yes. You can either buy a conversion kit from somebody like Regal or DIY with a couple of parts from your old gearbox. You'll need to drill and tap a few holes in the gearbox where the O/S driveshaft goes into it.

Are the mounting the same? As far as I know.

Can I use the same clutch that I have fitted to my F20? I don't think so because the LET uses a pot type flywheel instead of the XE's flat type.

·
Respect mah authoritah!
4,994 Posts
yes as above. there are a few peeps that do a conversion plate from 4 x 4 to 2wd there about £100, i would take this option as you could sell the f20 then complete. i heard you would have to change the clutch and fly wheel as the let's only had the pot type fly. i think the splines are different iirc. you may need the rear mount as well. the f28 is also a heavier box than the f20.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys thats a real help, I think I'll have a go. I know that they are stronger box's than the F20 and this is my main reason for changing.
Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
31,467 Posts
Thanks guys thats a real help, I think I'll have a go. I know that they are stronger box's than the F20 and this is my main reason for changing.
Thanks again!
Nothing to do with 6 speed then? ;)

Good luck with the conversion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts