Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Suppose you'd feel better if they turned round and said Sir do you want to buy this book of nonsense for £400 just put it with your cars paper work you won't need it anymore.
I personally don't know of anyone that has made a successful claim on an aftermarket none manufacturers extended car warranty. I'm ringing again tomorrow, no recognition yet of my email with photos sent to the warranty company. I think the "sudden failure", will be their get out clause. Damage caused by wear & tear, their expected written response, if I eventually get one.
Outside of the manufacturers warranty, I'll never put a car in for a service with them or an mot again. Speaking retrospectively of course:ROFLMAO:
I've experienced far better service generally from a trustworthy independent garage.

·
Premium Member
13,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've just rung up the warranty group again, they're RAC's claims handler/administrators. They have over 100 emails within their inbox to look through, they're going to tag mine as high priority:ROFLMAO:So it's a case of waiting to see what one of their engineers have to say about my shockers.

·
Morris the Bullet Dodger
4,833 Posts
Third party warranties are a complete bag of toss - will never buy one, might as well flush a few hundred quid down the shitter, also previously said never known a good outcome from one yet, I've put in 3 claims over the years on cars that came with the most basic of basic warranties clearly stating whet is covered and received sweet FA back.

·
Premium Member
13,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've just heard back from the warranty company, suprise, suprise they're not covered.
Here's the engineers response:-
The shock absorber bushes have de-laminated over the locating eyes, de-lamination occurs as a result of deteriation. Unfortunately we are unable to process your claim.

·
Premium Member
13,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
They said dampers are covered, just not for de-lamination:ROFLMAO:
I'm still arguing my case, said that they've failed prematurely, that they are not a serviceable item, neither are they within their exclusion list.
I'm awaiting their final response, then I'll take it to the insurance ombudsman. I may not get anywhere with it, but it's only my time, not further cost involved.
It clearly states within their policy that "All mechanical and electrical items covered", dampers are not within their exclusion list. Neither does it state anywhere about items only being covered due to "sudden failure only".
This warranty is clearly not fit for purpose for a low mileage vehicle aged between 3-5 years old with a full main dealer service history.

·
Premium Member
13,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The insurance company have just got back again, said they'd like to have my dampers independently inspected at their cost. So I'm thinking about what to do next. I may give my independent garage a ring tomorrow, as they've had previous experience of dealing with warranty companies, see what they advise.

·
Premium Member
13,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Another update.
I've rung the Ombudsman up for some further advice and basically I have to await the warranty companies final response, then I can take it up with the Ombudsman, it's going to be a long winded process, but if the warranty administrators will not cover the cost of replacing the shocks I will do so.
I'm also going to let the warranty company independently inspect the old shocks. I will also have some supporting evidence from my independent garage on their opinion why the shocks had failed.I've just spoken to my independent garage again whom have spoken to "MEYLE", whom supplied my replacement shocks they confirmed my old shocks had suffered from de-lamination, that'd I'd be wasting my time taking it any further with RAC, as that was their get out clause.

After further thought, I'm taking it further. As I expect a set of dampers to last for longer than 4 years. They're not a serviceable item. No where within the warranty terms and conditions does it exclude them either.
So it's just a case of a few more emails and then on to the insurance ombudsman to see which way they'll rule. It'll all be on policy wording no doubt.

·
Premium Member
13,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
After checking all the previous service history from the wife's car, I came across another mot insurance warranty that was posted out to us from "MOPAR", two months after we purchased the car back in 2017, at no cost to us, I'd forgot about it. Valid for the first two mot's. So I fired off an email to them, fortunately they were happy to reimburse the cost back to me for replacing the dampers, minus an excess off £100, so they've basically agreed to pay out £100 plus vat. So ironically a warranty I'd forgotton about had paid out:ROFLMAO:
One things for certain I'll never pay out again for an extended after market warranty. Especially not an "RAC Platinum", one.
IMG_20200302_144737825~2.jpg

·
Morris the Bullet Dodger
4,833 Posts
Good stuff - at least you're getting a few quid back in your direction

·
Likes this.
10,839 Posts
It's quite interesting reading this. I've always been a bit dubious about ANY warranty that's basically an insurance policy in disguise, but I didn't realise the companies try this hard to get out of paying!

I bought a warranty for 12 months when I bought my Mondeo ST, cost me about £300 if I remember correctly (it was back in 2014). Fortunately I didn't have to claim on it as nothing went wrong in the first 12 months of ownership. I only bought the warranty because I bought the Mondeo from a private seller and I'd never spent that sort of money (£5700) on a private sale before, so just wanted it for a bit of peace of mind I guess.

Bloody glad I didn't have to try and claim though.....

·
Super Moderator
25,805 Posts
It's quite interesting reading this. I've always been a bit dubious about ANY warranty that's basically an insurance policy in disguise, but I didn't realise the companies try this hard to get out of paying!

I bought a warranty for 12 months when I bought my Mondeo ST, cost me about £300 if I remember correctly (it was back in 2014). Fortunately I didn't have to claim on it as nothing went wrong in the first 12 months of ownership. I only bought the warranty because I bought the Mondeo from a private seller and I'd never spent that sort of money (£5700) on a private sale before, so just wanted it for a bit of peace of mind I guess.

Warranty companies use a lot of scare tactics like telling you that your high pressure fuel pump if it failed would cost you over £2500 to replace & then citing several owners who didn’t have any warranty & they received crippling bills to get the car up & running again.
But if it came to paying for the pump you can guarantee the warranty company would do all they could to wrangle out of it.
They’d probably blame a miss fuel (petrol instead of diesel) or that in their opinion someone had tampered with the pump at some point.
I can’t have any warranty other than the manufacturers because of the work my car does every year excludes me from applying.
Some bully of a sales manager tried to sell me RAC Gold lifetime warranty for £850 on a A5 Skoda Octavia that still had 20 months manufacturer’s warranty left , when i read the small print “ cars used as taxi excluded “ to him he went bananas 😃

·
Premium Member
13,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Tell me about it:ROFLMAO:
If only I could claim for my time wasted. As I've previous said I think it needs reform, otherwise what's the point?
It's only sudden failure items that seemed to be covered really, everything else is classed as "wear and tear". Even if they are not an excluded part within the terms and conditions of the policy.

·
Premium Member
13,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I must be going through a good period of Kama, MOPAR have just said they'll cover the full cost of the shocks. My faith in Fiat has returned, not the dealer or RAC though. I'll be avoiding any products from RAC like a plague now, inc insurance and their breakdown cover.
Their extended warranties are truly "SHOCKING". Perhaps I'll have a sudden failure to renew my current breakdown cover with them.

·
Super Moderator
25,805 Posts
I must be going through a good period of Kama, MOPAR have just said they'll cover the full cost of the shocks. My faith in Fiat has returned, not the dealer or RAC though. I'll be avoiding any products from RAC like a plague now, inc insurance and their breakdown cover.
Their extended warranties are truly "SHOCKING". Perhaps I'll have a sudden failure to renew my current breakdown cover with them.
How’s that come about then ?

·
Premium Member
13,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
How’s that come about then ?
It was an free mot insurance from the manufacturer I didn't know I had, which covered one claim for up to a maximum of a year. When I rung them back up with regards to how they'd make payment, they agreed to pay the full claim. I've also saved them close to £200 by having the work done outside of the dealers. This insurance product was authorised by Fiat and still in existence for new customers from what I can gather.
The RAC warranty was the extended warranty that the Abarth/Fiat dealer had sold me when we bought the car which was 18 months old at the time to cover years 3-5.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts