Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As most of you know I've made a failed claim with the RAC Platinum extended car warranty that was sold to me by a main dealer.
Anyway looking through a recent RAC Platinum warranty booklet it sates that "All mechanical and electrical parts are covered", then lists excluded parts.
Brakes- Brake discs, brake pads linings/shoes. It does not state that Shock Absorbers are not covered. Even the dealer had stated that these bushes had prematurely failed. RAC then stated that they were not covered as they were not classed as a sudden failure item, were caused by wear and tear..
I'm going to take this further with RAC, I doubt I'll get anywhere, but I'm going to ring them on Monday to see what they've got to say.
See booklet info page-
IMG_20200221_201645529~2.jpg

IMG_20200221_201940290~2.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The general procedure of complaint with the RAC is to contact them first verbally, then if you are not happy with their decision, email them, they'll then give you their final decision, if you are not happy with that you then have the option to contact the insurance ombudsman. I've also kept the old shocks and have receipts for all work carried out.

·
Premium Member
10,284 Posts
As most of you know I've made a failed claim with the RAC Platinum extended car warranty that was sold to me by a main dealer.
Anyway looking through a recent RAC Platinum warranty booklet it sates that "All mechanical and electrical parts are covered", then lists excluded parts.
Brakes- Brake discs, brake pads linings/shoes. It does not state that Shock Absorbers are not covered. Even the dealer had stated that these bushes had prematurely failed. RAC then stated that they were not covered as they were not classed as a sudden failure item, were caused by wear and tear..
I'm going to take this further with RAC, I doubt I'll get anywhere, but I'm going to ring them on Monday to see what they've got to say.
See booklet info page-
View attachment 90845
View attachment 90846

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
This why I don't believe in extended warranties. They are often not worth the paper they are written on!

I think about it this way, the warranty company are in business to make money, so statistically you are more likely to pay out more then you get back for the so called peace of mind of having a warranty.

I personally would put some money aside each month for unexpected repairs, long term I would expect it to cost you less.

·
Super Moderator
25,805 Posts
This why I don't believe in extended warranties. They are often not worth the paper they are written on!

I think about it this way, the warranty company are in business to make money, so statistically you are more likely to pay out more then you get back for the so called peace of mind of having a warranty.

I personally would put some money aside each month for unexpected repairs, long term I would expect it to cost you less.
A bit like mobile phone insurance , any excuse to not pay.
If it’s not the right type of theft , they don’t pay out.

·
Premium Member
13,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the offending shocks, I've indicated where the bushes have split.
Going to ring the warranty company tomorrow, then see where I go from there. Old shocks are 4 years old and covered 32k.
IMG_20200223_144017828~2.jpg

IMG_20200223_144022120~2.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A bit like mobile phone insurance , any excuse to not pay.
If it’s not the right type of theft , they don’t pay out.
I think these warranty companies need reform. What would happen if manufacturer warranties were the same? Cover everything but what you need them to. Especially when main dealers are pushing their extended warranties, as no doubt they'll take a cut for doing so.
I've made many successful claims on manufacturers warranties, none yet on any extended warranties.

·
Premium Member
10,284 Posts
Extended Warrantys are a license to print money , they play on the Public's fear of their car breaking down, as you know at the end of the day they can claim everything is wear and tear, looking at the photos that's not wear and tear that's manufacturing fault, the rubber has come away from the bush, if it was wear and tear there would be a crack or split in the rubber.

·
Premium Member
13,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Extended Warrantys are a license to print money , they play on the Public's fear of their car breaking down, as you know at the end of the day they can claim everything is wear and tear, looking at the photos that's not wear and tear that's manufacturing fault, the rubber has come away from the bush, if it was wear and tear there would be a crack or split in the rubber.
They're get out clause is wear and tear and the effected part has to of suffered from "sudden failure" or so the main dealer had told me. I'll be giving the RAC warranty dept a ring today to see what they have to say, go from there.
It makes you wonder if they'd cover catastrophic engine failure due to a timing chain failure? Did it fail over time (wear and tear) or was it caused by "sudden failure".

·
3,065 Posts
I do not want to be negative about this but:

Unless you are covered by the CRA 2015 and this is valid for 6 months since you bought/ got into posesion of the car... You are pretty much on wild ghost chase.

This warrantys you will find out reading everything that unless a core part nothing is really covered do to wear and tear...

This might come as a surprise but on a brand new car shocks are not covered if the car travelled 6500 miles...

Do to my Chrysler issues 2 years ago i know this... So any rubber parts are not covered, any turbo or ancillary stuff is not covered, any body interior...and list can go forever

·
Premium Member
13,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do not want to be negative about this but:

Unless you are covered by the CRA 2015 and this is valid for 6 months since you bought/ got into posesion of the car... You are pretty much on wild ghost chase.

This warrantys you will find out reading everything that unless a core part nothing is really covered do to wear and tear...

This might come as a surprise but on a brand new car shocks are not covered if the car travelled 6500 miles...

Do to my Chrysler issues 2 years ago i know this... So any rubber parts are not covered, any turbo or ancillary stuff is not covered, any body interior...and list can go forever
I asked the Fiat dealer if the shocks would have been covered under the manufacturers warranty, they said yes. I don't think VW cover their shocks after the first year though, although I'm not totally sure about this.
Although I didn't initially think my chances of having a favorable outcome would be high:ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
13,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've just rung RAC customer services, won't speak to me due to data protection, so require my wife to ring first so that I can speak to them about her policy. Ironically I have a platinum warranty too on my Astra, was given to me for free by the supplying dealer. Ironically my shocks are covered with this policy (or so the advisor said), due to the terms and conditions being slightly different on two similar warranties. So two platinum warranties, mine being an older car is covered for more. I've heard it all now:ROFLMAO:Although I do know that brake pipes are not covered on mine, as I needed a couple doing on my last mot, checked that with RAC at the time. Batteries too are a no go:ROFLMAO:
I'll update once I've spoken to them again.

·
Premium Member
13,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've just spoken to an RAC advisor, he tried to explain that the failure was due to wear and tear, I disagreed and said it was down to sudden failure as the rubber had split off their bushes. He asked me to email photos of them, which I did along with an email explaining everything. Hopefully I should hear something back soon. He seemed helpful, time will tell.

·
3,065 Posts
Brake pipes need doing? ?!?!?! My head hurts as last i needed to do a brake line was on a 51 plate.... And that was do to hitting something.... And took the plastic coating off( genuine vauxhall brake lines are coated with plastic) at least in all cars i have seen.

Manufacturer warrantys are covering only manufacture defects otherwise falls under wear and tear or some rare cases neglect. This rac or whatever warrantys... Are pretty shady really and found only very few times to cover and after to work... Those 128 aa or rac checks also i think are subjective as a 5 mile drive for example but are kind of good as visual inspection.

Some garages will handle all this hassle and tell you right off if is the case under that "" platinum paper or not and will handle the claim themselves and report if anything was also found out of order( had this with a 13 plate laguna) again fault and claim was made in those 6 months... Which hunted back the initial dealer...

I hope you prove me wrong tho and you manage to sort it.

·
Super Moderator
25,805 Posts
Only the manufacturers warranty covers every part of the car that should last the years given or the mileage covered.
Through manufacturers warranty on many cars I've had turbocharger replaced , wheel bearings , radiators , interior trim etc etc without quibble even though the cars were serviced by the lads & not the supplying dealer.
Aftermarket warranty I've never been successful in any claim.

·
Premium Member
13,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Brake pipes need doing? ?!?!?! My head hurts as last i needed to do a brake line was on a 51 plate.... And that was do to hitting something.... And took the plastic coating off( genuine vauxhall brake lines are coated with plastic) at least in all cars i have seen.

Manufacturer warrantys are covering only manufacture defects otherwise falls under wear and tear or some rare cases neglect. This rac or whatever warrantys... Are pretty shady really and found only very few times to cover and after to work... Those 128 aa or rac checks also i think are subjective as a 5 mile drive for example but are kind of good as visual inspection.

Some garages will handle all this hassle and tell you right off if is the case under that "" platinum paper or not and will handle the claim themselves and report if anything was also found out of order( had this with a 13 plate laguna) again fault and claim was made in those 6 months... Which hunted back the initial dealer...

I hope you prove me wrong tho and you manage to sort it.
The front brake pipes on my Astra (2014), were corroded, as my independent garage showed me them prior to having them replaced for copper ones. They were an advisory on the mot, but I decided to have them done, anyway. They'd bubbled up and the coating had come off, same on both sides.
Only the manufacturers warranty covers every part of the car that should last the years given or the mileage covered.
Through manufacturers warranty on many cars I've had turbocharger replaced , wheel bearings , radiators , interior trim etc etc without quibble even though the cars were serviced by the lads & not the supplying dealer.
Aftermarket warranty I've never been successful in any claim.
I hope I can buck the trend, as I too have never made a successful claim on extended warranty yet. Although this is my first, I think. Maybe my last too:ROFLMAO:
Still waiting for their response.

·
3,065 Posts
The front brake pipes on my Astra (2014), were corroded, as my independent garage showed me them prior to having them replaced for copper ones. They were an advisory on the mot, but I decided to have them done, anyway. They'd bubbled up and the coating had come off, same on both sides.

I hope I can buck the trend, as I too have never made a successful claim on extended warranty yet. Although this is my first, I think. Maybe my last too:ROFLMAO:
Still waiting for their response.
Hmm that issue with brake lines in front is ussually found when for some reason the line was disconnected and not torqued properly and it leaked at some point, some people tend to save on brake cleaner and just use a wipe...and that is the outcome.

I really hope you get through the claim, nothing to lose really.

·
Super Moderator
25,805 Posts
See booklet info page-
View attachment 90845
View attachment 90846
Be easier for them to say what’s covered lol 😂 be less pages of print,

1 - 20 of 37 Posts