Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
**VxON Photographer of the year 2008***
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive just won myself a janspeed centre section for my car. and now thinking about back boxes.

is it perrfectly acceptable to buy from a different manufacturer (given the centre pipe is just a direct replacement for the OE part)

The reason i ask is that the matching janspeed back box is the best part of £180. Whereas a peco one in a variety of nicer styles is only £125 in mild steel and £155 in stainless.

and to be honest i like the look of the latter.

then to complicate things more about the only decent decat i can find for an ecotec is a scoprion number at £60 odd quid... and then likely a lexmaul manifold.

is this mish mash of exhaust components ok.... or is it better to try and get all from one manufacturer? (which in the case of ecotecs aint easy)

·
22,199 Posts
I would alway's use the same company for the backbox and centre pipe, but as for the de-cat and manifold it doesnt really matter i shouldnt have thought.

As for the Lexmaul manifold, you wont be dissappointed...may seem costly but they are well worth the money IMO.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
mixing brands wouldn't be much of a problem but mixing steel quality may not be a good idea. stick with stainless if you can.

as long as the exhaust parts are for the same engine and hence have the same bore then at the end of the day, its only a pipe.

·
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the centre pipe ive won is mild steel.. so will likely just try and get the matching janspeed mild steel back box.

i definately seem to think that the lexmaul manifold is a good idea though.

will it be ok using this with a standard bore aftermarkey exhaust?

id imagine that the lexmaul manifold still must mate up to a standard cat.. and therefore a standard size system so should be fine?

·
22,199 Posts
shrink said:
i definately seem to think that the lexmaul manifold is a good idea though.

will it be ok using this with a standard bore aftermarkey exhaust?

id imagine that the lexmaul manifold still must mate up to a standard cat.. and therefore a standard size system so should be fine?
erm, i think you would be wasting your time with the Lexmaul and a standard exhaust TBH...free flowing manifold and a standard restrictive system...

I have the Lexmaul manifold and Sportex catback system...i know i still have the CAT but not removing it due to emissions...and yes, the Lexmaul does bolt to cat as normal...id renew the mating collar too while your at it.

·
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive also just noticed that like janspeed.. sportex exhausts are standard fitting from the cat back.

have you found the combination ok? of lexmaul manifold.. standard cat and uprated cat back system?

im probably gonna buy the matching janspeed back box and go matching from the cat back.

any merit in throwing on a decat pipe? or does it do very little for performance?

·
22,199 Posts
shrink said:
have you found the combination ok? of lexmaul manifold.. standard cat and uprated cat back system?
Yeah no problems...infact im extremely happy with it...backbox is rusty as hell but thats due to its location on the Calibra's...the back n/s wheel continuously sprays the backbox with stones...but ill be painting that soon.

Not 100% sure about any actual benefits of a decat...they are supposed to realease quite abit of power due to their restrictiveness.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I Recommend the Lexmaul manifold too! What a difference! Put a decat on at the same time so couldnt reali tell u improvements with the cat on, but mated up with a decat the improvements are noticable! It was a hoffmann stainless decat i used! :Cool2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts