Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
**VxON Photographer of the year 2008***
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the difference?

im looking at peco back boxes as something cheap and half decent looking to go on the car for the time being.

but im coming across several that list themselves as open type.. and some listed as acoustic type

anyone know the difference and how that affects how it sounds and what kinda power gains/losses result.

·
The wanderer returns!
2,156 Posts
I have an open box on the Nova, It's basicaly a straight through back box with very little restriction. The only problem with open systems is that sometimes the air goes back into the exhaust as causes a popping sound. As for power gains, there are different opinions on this. They do sound good though.

·
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah im trying to avoid loud as well.. so will try to avoid open :)

peco boxes are around £125 for a twin pipe mild steel back box. id hoped to get the janspeed one to match my centre section.. but its about £180.. and i aint paying that in a million years for mild steel.

·
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
musrt have been an expensive site then..

ive found a few sportex back boxes.. the only prob im having is that they give very little detail as to what one fits what cav,.

they have two kinds for cavalier 16v saloon... no year mentioned or engine type... so how am i supposed to know what one fits the car lol

also can anyone say why sportex would or woudlnt be a better idea than peco? ive had a couple of pecos in the past and they served me well.

·
15,300 Posts
Sassy paid £170 for a custom fitted stainless Powermaster, you can choose the box and which tailpipes you want.
Could you stretch to that? Then you wont need to replace it in the future.
It seems a false economy to pay 125 quid for something that is only temporary! If its not going to be on there long atall, Id just get a standard one for about 70 quid or so

·
The wanderer returns!
2,156 Posts
Pity you live so far away. I took my car directly to Peco (5 mins away) and asked them about a Big Bore exhaust. They then offered me a new "Jap" style back box for £50 if they could use the Nova as a developement car for further exhaust manufacture. Bonus!! These thing wer'nt even advertised yet.

·
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
because the standard one looks rubbish.. and it'll be about a year before i go to a new permanent solution.. so in that time id like something half decent.. just dont wanna go nuts.

if i was gonna pay £170.. id just pay up and get the janspeed box thats supposed to match my car.....

sportex have kinda driven me nuts over the last 10 mins with their useless product labelling.. so already im discounting them :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts