Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can anyone tell me if the flange nuts on the exhaust front pipe to intermediate pipe on a 96 Vectra are part of the flange or seperate nuts. I am trying to remove the exhaust to change the handbrake cable and the bolts are not moving, and I am afraid they might shear:eh and if the front pipe flange nuts are welded to the flange, I won't be able to refit the exhaust:shame:. any advice gratefully received.

TIA Woodsy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, you where right it is a seperate nut:lmao:, the bolt still snapped though, and the stump wont come out of the flange, these jobs are never easy, GRRRR. more WD and a cup of tea for me I think.

Cheers, Woodsy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what I have been doing but it will only move a couple of turns then the mole grips slip off, I've given up for now, try again tommorow, thanks for your suggestions.:Cool2:

Regards, Woodsy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: It took me about 2 hours to extract the stump of the broken bolt, only one of the studs for the heat shield broke off while removing that, not bad for a 12 year old car:D and the rest of the job went OK, so I have a fully functioning handbrake again.

Tanks for your help.

Woodsy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just before i sold my vectra B 1996 i put a new handbrake cable on it for MOT.

It is possible to renew the cable without removing the exhaust. Just remove the heat shield retaining bolts & let the shield drop down a little. Remove the rubber exhaust mounting pieces to let the exhaust drop a little & you have just enough room to get the old cable out & the new one in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.