Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1458817793_tmp_20160323_195938.jpg
Hi!
I have had an issue with my Vivaro for quite a while now. There is a puffing sound when the engine is under load. At a rate as it could be from one of the cylinders firing.
There is exhaust smell in the cabin and it's now time to do somrthing about it. I have removed the plastc parts to reveal a lot of soot under the air filter housing, and around the manifold. This seems like an awful tight place to work, and I am afraid i have to drop the engine to get to fix this. Anyone here that has done this before or can come up with some adwise, would be very much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Yeah it's not easy to get to and the turbo is attached to the manifold making it heavy if you try to leave it on and just move the manifold back, the 2 manifolds share the bolts and the gasket. Plus its an alloy head so you need to be careful when tightening the boltd.

·
93 Carlton 2.0 Diamond Estate, 06 Vivaro 1.9 CDTi
1,124 Posts
Take the heater out, 3 x 10mm nuts, 1 x bolt, gives you more space over the top of it.
Be careful undoing the nuts on the manifold, spray well with WD40, if a stud breaks you could be looking at taking the head off?
If you don't find a major failure on the gasket, you might want to check for cracks in the exhaust manifold or possibly turbo manifold?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Get the van high and drop the subframe. Its not that hard, just time consuming.
If the van is second hand and at some point had a megane engine fitted an exhaust stud can be missing causing it to blow near the egr pipe, and the water jacket runs close to the surface so you cant drill and tap you need to fabricate a bridge between 2 other studs or it will blow again.
I would get a turbo oil supply pipe spare before you start as they often shear when you try to remove them if they have been on a while.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gungum. Heat tape.... or here's a gd one..... take it to a garage mate. Get it sorted property

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Have you tried a mirror to try and see where it's coming from, If it is cracked a least you can get another 1 before taking it apart, if you have time and patients do it yourself, undoing the 4 cat bolts I found the hardest when I had to do it,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts