Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Back in the saddle... with a big feck off van.
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced the cat pipe on the Cav (with x20xev) and have noticed that the knocking noise that I couldn't find before seems to be the edge of one end of the front silencer banging on the heat-shield. The pipe doesn't sit quite centrally in the tunnel, despite many re-positioning attemps, so I was wondering if:

1) I can chuck the heat sheild away altogether;
2) it's better just to move the heatshield a little on its' mounting screws;
3) I can wedge something in between them to stop the rattling (and if so, what's the best thing to use?).

If anyone knows which would be best, as always your expertise would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers,
JR

·
Back in the saddle... with a big feck off van.
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe an iffy engine mounting has put it out of line.Jerry

Shhhhh! Don't say that! In all honesty there's a good chance that it's the heatshield that isn't straight, but being held on with those crappy little rust-prone studs makes it harder to move than remove / bash with a hammer until no knocking occurs!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Like your style, Jerry! You didn't work for Haynes, did you?
No never did but I was shown many things by Irish tipper drivers when I had my tipper,its unbelieveable the number of dodges there are.
Of course with a lorry you need a 14lb hammer rather than a panel pin hammer;I always carried a 14lb hammer in the cab. Jerry

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I've got to be honest i've always binned the downpipe heatshield on all my ecotecs as the spotwelds break off and cause a really annoying rattle.never had any problems after.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.