Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have usual problems with my erg valve,cutting out when slowing down dropping the gears,approaching lights and round abouts ect.
i have read that you can use a old coke can to blank off the erg valve
i have a couple of questions on this and would be grateful for any advice.

do i remove erg valve and dispose of cut a blanking plate and use a bit of hermatite and the two original bolts to blank it of ?
also would i need to get my computer re-programmed and will this eliminate the problems i have been having with the erg valve or should i just replace the valve ?
thanks for any advice you can give me.

my car is a 1.6 eco tech zafira

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
i have usual problems with my erg valve,cutting out when slowing down dropping the gears,approaching lights and round abouts ect.
i have read that you can use a old coke can to blank off the erg valve
i have a couple of questions on this and would be grateful for any advice.

do i remove erg valve and dispose of cut a blanking plate and use a bit of hermatite and the two original bolts to blank it of ?
also would i need to get my computer re-programmed and will this eliminate the problems i have been having with the erg valve or should i just replace the valve ?
thanks for any advice you can give me.

my car is a 1.6 eco tech zafira
i would check your icv first before blanking of the egr valve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i cleaned the icv its the type thats all one unit as in built in to the throttle body its £200 for the icv just for the part its all one unit so i cleaned that as best i could with carb cleaner and its seems to be running fine responsive.it idles fine it only happens when your going fast and then slowing down going down the gears to slow down that it happens throw the town etc it is fine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the light has never came on but i thought the light would come on if it was the icv as well.i had cleaned the icv and it done no difference apart from it was more responsive .so couple of days later i cleaned the arg valve and it ran great for a couple of days then the symptoms started to come back

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi i also have 1.6 zafira eco tech and the engine management light has come on, ive had it read and its the egr valve. so as asked by omega0129 can it be blanked of easy and does it need programing. THANKS
p.s sorry for the hi-jack

·
Registered
64 Posts
Im going to turn my EGR valve off tomorrow on my zafira 1.6 ecotec so ill let you all now how it goes .Will install the new gasket first (one hole instead of two)then tec 2 it .

·
Registered
16 Posts
My wife's zafira (1.6i Club) had a similar problem. I followed the advice of someone on this forum and was able to confirm that it was the EGR valve before committing to buying a new one. Here's what I did following his advice:

I loosened the EGR valve bolts and slotted a piece of pre-cut coke-can between the valve and the manifold (scissors were strong enough to cut a suitable piece). The piece of coke-can was big enough to cover the valve opening but small enough to slot between the EGR valve mounting bolts. I re-tightened the bolts and took the car for a test drive. Voila! the problem disappeared. This confirmed to me that the EGR valve was 'stuck' open and I could confidently fork out £60 for a new one off ebay.

However, please note that blanking off the valve like this is only a short term fix. The inability of the valve to control the recirculation of exhaust gases will eventually have an adverse effect on the emissions and may damage the catalytic converter.

Hope this is useful.

Kind regards

Freightdog Mike

By the way - the engine management light may not come on for some time until the ECU decides that the symptoms are a problem.

·
Yawn.
2016 Focus ST-3 & 2021 Hyundai i20N
13,813 Posts
However, please note that blanking off the valve like this is only a short term fix. The inability of the valve to control the recirculation of exhaust gases will eventually have an adverse effect on the emissions and may damage the catalytic converter.
No it won't - EGR isn't a vital part of the Emissions Systems, and has no tie in with the Cat - in fact, some manufacturers are removing/permanently disabling EGR Systems in efforts to rectify faults

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote from wikipedia under 'Exhaust Gas Recirculation'

"...In almost all cases, a disabled EGR system will cause the car to fail an emissions test, and may cause the EGR passages in the cylinder head and intake manifold to become blocked with carbon deposits, necessitating extensive engine disassembly for cleaning...."

Remove an EGR at your own risk.

Kind regards

Freightdog Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.