Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I got a new cool pack for my mk 4 Astra and now it won't turn over and there is a loud clicking coming from somewhere near the air box. I've tried checking all the fuses, relays and switch. The check engine light and car with spanner light is flashing.
Can anyone help me out?
Thanks josh

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I bough the last year I only got one key with the car. Is there another way to deactivate the immobiliser?

·
I refuse to grow up.
15,998 Posts
Uhm not legally no. However replacement or additional keys are nice and cheap and easy to pair with the immobiliser. Just need someone who has an opcom/vauxcom to do it a virgin philips ID40 transponder chip and a key to put it in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry for the hassle I forgot to mention that it still turns over when I spray a lot of quick start through the throttle body and it will turn over for a couple seconds then completely die. And there's a pipe connected the air box and it makes a loud clicking(I will try to attatch a video)

·
Registered
56 Posts
sorry for the hassle I forgot to mention that it still turns over when I spray a lot of quick start through the throttle body and it will turn over for a couple seconds then completely die. And there's a pipe connected the air box and it makes a loud clicking(I will try to attatch a video)
Don’t use too much of that quick start stuff. It makes the piston rings brittle and the engine can become dependent on using it. I’ve seen head gaskets blow because of too much compression too. Worse on a diesel though.

If you’ve got a code reader then check the codes for the engine and also the immobiliser. Like the gentleman said in an earlier post, flashing car with a spanner usually points to immobiliser and it’s easy to programe they key to the car as long as you have the security immobiliser code. Do you have opcom?

·
Premium Member
16,195 Posts
Sounds like your battery is flat to me. Even if the immobiliser is active it should crank continuously and certainly for more than a few seconds

·
Dammit...driving the world's most boring car
2,273 Posts
As above, loud click normally associated with a nearly dead battery as the relay triggers but not enough juice to crank it over....or just a few cranks then clicks.

Just for arguments sake - try a jump start / fresh battery...you just never know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since I updated my last post I've done lots of things to the car trying to make it work. These thing include a new mass air flow sensor, new cam and crank position sensors brand new gm coil pack. (I changed these because my obd2 scanner picked up error codes for these items) I haven't tried a new battery because I've used a multimeter to test the battery and it runs 11.4volts and 14.3 while the car is running. The car now seams to be running worse as it cuts out when I stop, idles low (about 750 rpm) and when accelerating I will not go past 4,000 rpm.

·
13,166 Posts
11.4V is telling you your battery is at the end of its life.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Premium Member
16,195 Posts
You battery should be around 12.6v. Its 1v less so its dead. Either way it needs replacing and you can't troubleshoot anything with a depleted battery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay so I replaced the battery last night and I'm still having problems like low idle, won't go past 4K rpm, stalling when I'm stopped and it takes along time to fire up. I don't know what else it could be as I've had nearly every sensor replaced.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Check the two cables that connect to the ECU. If need be take them off and clean them with a nylon brush and some electrical cleaning fluid. I’ve had 2 Astra Gs now. One a Z18xe and the other a Z16SE and this caused me a lot of issue. A way to check is to start the car and have it running then pull of the connectors and kind of move it around. If the engine dies then it’s more than likely this could be the issue.
Clean the connector out ans also clean the pins on the ECU carefully without bending any of the metal pins. Hence why I say use a nylon brush. A wire brush should’t be used at all.
Sometimes the connectors that connect the loom to the ecu need to be held in place tightly with a cable tie at each end. I had to do this on a Z16SE.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay so I have tried the contact cleaner and nylon brush on the ecu connections and that hasn't changed anything. And now the car smells really gassy like it's running rich

·
Registered
185 Posts
Did you say you changed the throttle body? I once had sucha problem, and it turned out the throttle was a mess. Does it come with an AIC too?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NO I Haven't changed the throttle bodybut I was thinking that it could Be a problem. What does AIC mean and how do I know ify car has it?
Also I took my car to a garage this morning and they said it was in limp mode. Currently I have the battery disconnect to try resetting the ecu.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay update.
My obd2 scanner keeps throwing up
mass air flow sensor.
Cam sonsor
Crank sensor
but all of these are brand new and can't be the problem.

·
13,166 Posts
Reactions: andy_v
1 - 20 of 24 Posts