Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving home from work today and Engine warning light suddenly came on. Car was driving fine and was fine for the next 40 mins before i pulled over. Switched the engine off and then switched it back on and light went off. Carried on driving for another 10 mins and then it came back on again.
Car is driving fine, no loss of water or oil so not sure what else I can check. Does this mean that I am going to have to take it to a garage ?

·
Qualified lego bricklayer
9,180 Posts
Was driving home from work today and Engine warning light suddenly came on. Car was driving fine and was fine for the next 40 mins before i pulled over.
Would you do the same if the oil low pressure warning light had come on?

No offence, but I've never understood why so many people ignore warning lights. After all said and done, you've referred to it as a warning light, but because you didn't notice any adverse affects, you carried on driving.

Say for example it was telling you there was a fault with the fuel / air mixture. Several miles on and loads of unburnt fuel makes it's way through to the cat and it's potentially wrecked it because the warning light was ignored.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well took it to the garage today and they checked it out. I can't remember exactly what they said but they found two problems that were linked. He said something about the manifold ? and thats why it sounded like a slight blowing at the front of the car. Now he said it would cost about £300 and they couldn't do the work :confused: But he also said that if it was him he would just put up with it and ignore the light !!!
I'm strapped for cash at the moment so am considering doing what he said and ignore it for know as it doesn't come on all the time. And then find a garage who can do the work after a few paydays.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What engine is it???

In fairness my warning light comes on randomly on the Nova from time to time. I had a panic but after a search on the web it's a weird wonderful thing that only happens to Novas and no-one knows why!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What engine is it???

In fairness my warning light comes on randomly on the Nova from time to time. I had a panic but after a search on the web it's a weird wonderful thing that only happens to Novas and no-one knows why!
It's 1.4 16v

Thats why I originally didn't know if it was a big problem to ignore. Example. I drove to leeds, after about 10 mintutes light came on, pulled over to check if I could see anything under bonnet, switch car on and no light, after 10 min it came on again. Then on the way home I just ignored it all the way back. The next day I had to go to York for an emergency and for the whole way there and back it didn't come on once.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts