Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys.... a mate of mine needs to know

'right then, the wife and me are wanting to add a bit more power to our 95 2.0 cav sri eco. We have come to an agreement that a bigger engine is the way forward but love our cav sooo much we want to swap engines. we have also decided to go for a v6 2.5 or 3.0 litre from an omega. Now how hard is it to change them over. ive done plenty of engine swaps on landrovers but never an upgraded engine.
is it best to unbolt everything ( engine, gearbox, suspension subframe etc ) the whole front of the car basicly and put in the front of an omega or is it just engine gearbox and ecu??

sorry if this is a no brainer stupid question but want to hear advice from the vaux jedi knights.

cheers.'

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
better off finding a cav v6 as a donor car , the omega is rear wheel drive & a lot of parts will be different to front wheel drive .
get a v6 cav & drop the whole lot out the bottom of 1 & into the other .

·
Registered
142 Posts
You would be better off buying a good V6 and getting rid of yours.
Apart from the insurance problems if you are not too good with the spanners then you will hit problems as it wont be straight forward unless you buy a complete running car as a doner. Even then it may take longer than you think.

·
vxon cav lover
910 Posts
i was the same as you,i had a sri ecotec and i put a v6 2.5 cav engine in, i was lucky enough to get a doner cav, the v6 engine went straight into my cav without much bother, all i used was engine, geabox,loom and ecu, everthing else fittedfrom my cav. i lifted the car took the subframe off and dropped the engine out of the bottom, the v6 went in the same way,it a pretty straight forward swap, and my insurance went up but not by much.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
The Omega is wider and the subframe wont be a direct swap anyway...my cav has an Omega engine, Courtney did it and apparently it cost £10k, although that was a new engine...stick with swapping Cav to Cav

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
And you are missing the fact that the Omega has it mounted the wrong way!!!

You can fit an Omega engine though, but you need the inlet system from a cav or calibra as the Omega Dual ram system wont fit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i would definately go with the donor car my old cav started out as a 1.6l then it was changed to a 2l red top then a 2.5v6 red top was a pretty straightforward transplant had to run the spedo from the abs system which knocks the light on but bulb can be taken out everything else more or less married up.....but definately get a dona cav probably set you back bout £500 then you can get money back selling bits you dont use and once you sold everything you dont use weigh the car in...hey presto a very cheap v6 conversion

1 - 9 of 9 Posts