Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Your engine temp

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, i have been wondering, under normal driving conditions what temp does your cav/cally temp guage sit at??

I have had 2 cavs myself, and been in loads, but they all seem to have different temp showing when they are warmed up, and under normal free driving!

My GSI sits at 86 deg when normal driving and up to temp.. but not sure this is right.

The marks on the engine temp guage are, blue= below 80 deg, 1st mark up= 85 deg, middle is 90 as shown, second from top is 95 deg, and red means over boil temp 100 deg

·
VxON Insane
1,425 Posts
When i an driving normally motorway and such like it sits at about 86 87 deg but if i am in a traffic jam it can go up to anything from 89 to 93 deg well that is when the temp guage is not playing up

C

·
0 Posts
Calibra turbo 91 so spot on, would rise 1 or 2 degrees when pushed.
Under 90 isn't too clever really.

·
Banned
8,538 Posts
Mine barely gets out the out the blue again I think its got a cold running thermostat as before the head work used to go no higher than halfway.

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
Which is the more accurate, a 92 degree themostat or a colour graded guage?

My Cally T (with temp figures) sits between 92 and 94. My Mk2 130 with the needle horizontal, whatever that is!

Shouldn't all Cavs etc be running with 92 degree thermostats? If the temperature is too low the engine management will be in cold running mode applying a richer mixture.

·
Banned
14,579 Posts
Barely out the blue for mine when moving quickly, although rises normally to 95 in traffic and then cools to 90ish

C

·
0 Posts
GREYDJ said:
Shouldn't all Cavs etc be running with 92 degree thermostats? If the temperature is too low the engine management will be in cold running mode applying a richer mixture.
92 is what they should be at.
Cool running 'stats just mean higher fuel consumption and increased engine wear. People either don't understand that, or don't want to believe it.
The amount of people that say their gauge barely gets out the blue, I'd be taking steps to rectify that.

·
Cannonball will win with or without you
8,417 Posts
Mine sits on just over a 1/4 all the time when moving .

C

·
0 Posts
Thermostat and sender, £10 or so and half hour to fit. No excuse :Cool2:
See a lot of new cars have no coolant temp gauge - no oil gauge is bad enough, but that's just silly I reckon.

·
Banned
14,579 Posts
Infact i think i might have a duff temp sender because my heaters are blowing warm when its still flat in the blue so maybe it under-reads

C

·
0 Posts
Andy M said:
Infact i think i might have a duff temp sender because my heaters are blowing warm when its still flat in the blue so maybe it under-reads
Can confirm by letting it run until the fan comes on. If it's 100C switch, may read 101/102 on gauge if gauge is correct. Numbers on the gauge would be helpful lol.

·
Banned
14,579 Posts
CallyT said:
Can confirm by letting it run until the fan comes on. If it's 100C switch, may read 101/102 on gauge if gauge is correct. Numbers on the gauge would be helpful lol.
Comes on at an indicated 95 mate, i have the later gauge where 90 is lower down and is the first mark, then you have a 2nd mark which i presume is 100 and a third which is 110

C

·
0 Posts
Andy M said:
Comes on at an indicated 95 mate, i have the later gauge where 90 is lower down and is the first mark, then you have a 2nd mark which i presume is 100 and a third which is 110
Temp sender then. Fan comes in under half way up the gauge by the sounds of it?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts