Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine temperature needle is very slow to move.. some days I drive for about 15 miles and it's still yet to budge from zero.

Then sometimes it jumps to 90 degrees all of a sudden after about 10 mins of driving.

Is this sticking and need fixed? How would I go about looking for the issue?

I like to attempt fixes myself before I have to take it to a garage.

Thanks
Neil

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
What engine?
This is pretty normal for my CDTi diesel - any diesel struggles to reach and maintain temperature at this time of year.

Alternatively, your thermostat may be sticking. A bit difficult to tell if it's serious or urgent on the information given though without knowing if the engine is going through a period of overheating before the thermostat opens.

·
"Red One.."
2,973 Posts
If you've got access to an Opcom you can have a look at live data both in engine and instrument to see what the coolant temperature is reading as the car warms up - that'll give an idea as to whether it's a genuine issue with coolant temp or a signal problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What engine?
This is pretty normal for my CDTi diesel - any diesel struggles to reach and maintain temperature at this time of year.

Alternatively, your thermostat may be sticking. A bit difficult to tell if it's serious or urgent on the information given though without knowing if the engine is going through a period of overheating before the thermostat opens.
Vectra C
Life
Petrol
138bph

·
"Red One.."
2,973 Posts
Ahh cool, petrol engine - known stats replaced on these too so not uncommon.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Premium Member
13,257 Posts
If you have the CD70 stereo you can get live data using the secret menu, press Settings and BC at the same time for a few seconds, you should hear a chime and the screen should say test mode on, I think you press BC again and you get loads of Info on the car like coolant temp, battery voltage, alternator charge and so on.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
common problem with the 1.8vvt engine--fit a new stat and not a cheapie from your local car shop,buy genuine or Wahler [oem] part---the Wahler one comes with a seal,the genuine one-you will have to buy a new seal for it---easy job to do just don't overtighten the bolts that hold the stat inplace to its housing[that's plastic I believe]-----Dave

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have the CD70 stereo you can get live data using the secret menu, press Settings and BC at the same time for a few seconds, you should hear a chime and the screen should say test mode on, I think you press BC again and you get loads of Info on the car like coolant temp, battery voltage, alternator charge and so on.
Nope my BC button comes up no function.

Thanks anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Did you press and hold the BC button for about 10 seconds?

I don't recall at the moment exactly how, but I have been into some 'hidden' items on my CD30. Can't recall what was shown either (getting senior :( ), but definitely had a voltage display on one screen.

When I want 'hidden' information I use the TORQ (android app) and a blutetooth canbus connector or OpCom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts