Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice, it's looking a lot cheaper to get another engine (X20XEV) and probably a better bet considering mine has done 145k with the head gasket gone....I've got plenty of engine quotes that could deliver the engines with warranty....But...where can one get it installed!? None of the local garages seem to want to know, not even the vauxhall breakers around the corner who didn't have any of its own and clearly state installation service for engines and gearboxes on its website....

Help!! Any advice?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
One point worth noting about this: The warranty you have from the engine supplier DOES not cover the cost off re-installation. i.e. if you put the engine in and it is shite, the suppliers will tell you 'no worries mate, just send it back and we'll give you a new one', but the garage will charge you all over again for the installation. I know, I have been there... There is no easy way around this, but just add this to your list of considerations when you are doing the pros and cons of engine swap vs repair.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, not really what I wanted to hear, but indeed very much a consideration to take into account....I'm starting to think that it would be easier to learn to do it myself :) I'm just scared as I've never done that before and don't have a ramp etc....

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Very much DIY! It's not too bad to do - I'm doing mine at the mo with pics which might help you. I'd happily help but you are a fair way from me, someone else might be willing to help?

I definitely say give it a go

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, and your one is much heavier and bigger than my little 2l-4 cylinder....Then again I'll have to be in Shipley tomorrow morning, shall I'll drop it off on my way :) Just kidding....

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Dejongj have you managed to get your hands on a haynes manual not all of it is lies and I think there is a section in there for removal.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck have you managed to get a decent quote on a replacement engine yet.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Changing an engine over is not that bad really,the main thing is remembering where all the pipes and wires go.
Get yourself a roll of masking tape and a permanent marker and tag/label everything before you take them off,and if you have a digital camera even better just take a picture of everything as you remove them on the highest picture quality your camera can go to,then when you are refitting if you get stuck just look at the pic and zoom in to see where it goes.
Rent an engine hoist for the day and away you go just take your time,and once you have done it you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I've got a haynes manual read it front-to-back, but did skip that section :) Guess I'll be looking into it again....

I've got several quotes for my type engine...Basically I could get one with 60k'ish miles 3 month warranty for £275...Which sounds attractive enough not to bother with a head gasket repair.....

Nixoro, you're quite close....Do you know of a trusty garage in the area that could help? Or have experience in doing something like this, time/effort compensation is on the table as per the wanted section....

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jamesdark said:
Rent an engine hoist for the day and away you go just take your time,and once you have done it you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.
The one day bit sound optimistic for a first timer....I think I probably could manage it, just looked at HSS for crane hire....I've got a double garage so plenty of working space....Just lacking the confidence....Right I'm glad I am 'working' from home today....Off to study the Haynes manual about Engine removal....

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
dejongj said:
Yes I've got a haynes manual read it front-to-back, but did skip that section :) Guess I'll be looking into it again....

I've got several quotes for my type engine...Basically I could get one with 60k'ish miles 3 month warranty for £275...Which sounds attractive enough not to bother with a head gasket repair.....

Nixoro, you're quite close....Do you know of a trusty garage in the area that could help? Or have experience in doing something like this, time/effort compensation is on the table as per the wanted section....
Not a bad price, now when I first got my car I needed a few bits and I found I think its B & H salvage shall have to check but the road is familiar looking on streetmap.co.uk anyway if its the right place its a big open compound at the back of the place, and I thought I would mention they do engine transplants as they sell them because when I was in there a guy had just bought an engine from them and they were fitting it, if you cant get them to do it it might be worth asking to rent there hoist. They are just off the whipsnade road B4541. Unfortunately I have never done any engine removals before.

There contact details: Tel: 01582 873677

Kensworth Ind Est,
Isle Of Wight Lane,
Kensworth,
Dunstable,
Bedfordshire
LU6 2PP

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for that! Called them, they are less than a mile away from me, don't have an engine and won't fit my own sourced parts....Bugger, the story of the day....

M

·
0 Posts
Get a gasket and skim the head - gaskets can go on these - not too bad to do by all accounts, do the cam belt at same time

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got a call from our builder Andy who's doing our kitchen...He contacted one of his mates who's got a small garage and is willing to fit the engine for £200!!! Total cost for replacement could be £475 which is getting very interesting.....

But he also getting another mechanic to come round with him tomorrow to check out what's really happening....as it is a little weird...The water is going rapidly (about 2 litres in 15 minutes driving @ 85mph) but no signs of leaks or wet ground underneath the car...Also no smoke from the exhaust once at operating temperature....Also no spotting in the engine oil....And no oil to be seen in the expansion tank.....The heater is not blowing anythig warm in the cabin.....At times it is very lumpy at idle with big vibrations, and the next 5 minutes it is very smooth.....Tapping when cold but silent when warmed up....It mis-fires when it is lumpy but not normally....But where is that water going!?

I will be getting quote for the headgasket tomorrow....I guess I should make certain he does a compression test on it shouldn't he....

I do appreciate your suggestions....

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
Simply check for exhaust gases in th header tank.....any garage witha gas analyser can do that.

If there realy is no sign of a leak then it can only be going out the exhaust.

I have to be honest and say I would fix the head gasket (would do the stem seals and exhaust manifold gasket at the same time) because on an engine its often 'better the devil you know' unless you get realy lucky.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Marks DTM Calib said:
If there realy is no sign of a leak then it can only be going out the exhaust.
That's what the recovery truck bloke was suggesting....

Thanks for all the suggestions....I'll see what the diagnosis is tomorrow....I did stick my nose in the expansion tank immediately after opening it up...and it does smell of exhaust fumes....

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
How far have you got james? is it nearly there, picking up parts tomorrow mate

JSeaman said:
Very much DIY! It's not too bad to do - I'm doing mine at the mo with pics which might help you. I'd happily help but you are a fair way from me, someone else might be willing to help?

I definitely say give it a go

1 - 19 of 19 Posts