Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, I'm going a step further now and pulling the whole darned thing! :lmao:

Thanks to the incredibly kind offer of Geff to come down and rebuild the whole engine with me :eh :Cool2: I'll be removing it at the weekend (If I can source a hoist!)

Anyway, tips for engine removal? I've got most stuff disconnected, just a few bits and bobs + the big question over the transmission - is it better to pull the two together or seperate them? Does the rad need to come out?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

James

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
I would separate the transmission.....you should be able to get the engine far enough forward to allow the box to remain in situ

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark, haven't even looked at this side of things yet - is it bolted all the way round ie a real pain to remove the top bolts holding the engine/box together?

Wondered if taking the prop off would be easier that's all

·
6,336 Posts
I'd remove the radiator as a matter of course ... all it takes is one accidental knock and it'll be :cry:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Sorry that you are having a hard time with your engine, but looking forward to seeing the pictures of the engine removal....

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Uploaded pics of removed engines might prove useful to some people to help them locate 'hidden' components like hbv, dis etc.... ;)

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mark, there'll be an additional step or two in the guide!

Good idea about the pics, and thanks Finlay - there's a lot of crap back there!!

Did you seperate the engine/box and how was it?

T

·
0 Posts
RonaldMcBurger said:
What, like this:

CLICK TO ENLARGE A LOT
Ahhh .....that will be cause of your lumpiness your experiencing Finlay, after your rocker cover change, even I can spot this one! The engine should be in your car not on a palet! :lmao:

R

·
0 Posts
No no no no no no no no.

This is not my engine. This has a car and gearbox missing. Don't be silly. I just stole... I mean borrowed the picture.

I wouldn't put that crap in my car. Rocker gasket is gone, so is the DIS pack and the seller thinks it has only done 54k. From an M-reg!!!! I don't think so. 54k since the last oil change more like.

Anyway, yes it does give you a good idea about where things are at least, except the DIS pack which would go where the DIS pack shape space is and the plug leads aint plugged into.

Interesting seeing it from this side though. Makes me think the engine would have been easier to work on from this side, except the cambelt which would mean dropping the engine out. Oh well can't win sometimes.

Once you get used to where all the plugs and vacuum hoses go, it becomes quite easy to work on actually. I should know, I have spent 4 weeks under the bonnet. I even sleep in there!

Now, I must go onto Ebay and find a proper car.

T

·
0 Posts
RonaldMcBurger said:
No no no no no no no no.

This is not my engine. This has a car and gearbox missing. Don't be silly. I just stole... I mean borrowed the picture.
Damm....and i was pretty sure that was your problem :lmao: oh well, next time you have a problem...be sure to ask me first...im sure i can do better next time! :lmao:

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I would undo the torque convertor off the flex plate before removal - theres a rubber bung - sure its under the starter motor to gain access to the torque convertor bolts. get someone to hold it in the box - or you will get loads of tranmission oil everywhere. the worst smell ever.

TheBoy said:
Yeah, but one with a dis pack :p

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Geffd said:
I would undo the torque convertor off the flex plate before removal - theres a rubber bung - sure its under the starter motor to gain access to the torque convertor bolts. get someone to hold it in the box - or you will get loads of tranmission oil everywhere. the worst smell ever.
Yup, been there before! :lmao:

Will see how I go at the weekend

1 - 17 of 17 Posts