Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lifting the motor (V6 auto) from the donor Cav today .... typically it's raining :lmao:

Any advice or instructions would be gratefully received :up: ...

The obvious plan is to unbolt/ disconnect/ free up everything I can ... the principal things I can think of being;

-the main hoses are already off since the radiator and air con are already away.
-popping the driveshafts (I might take the struts off anyway while I'm at it)
-unbolt the exhausts - what do you reckon? at manifolds/ at downpipes?
-disconnect all wiring looms leaving the engine ones still on the block.
-disconnect the speedo/ gear change connections
-unbolt the engine mounts and I'm away?

Is it necessary or advisable to take the inlet manifold off too d'yreckon?

What else am I missing or should I be thinking about or at least be keeping in mind?

Thanks for looking,
James

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
Drop the exhaust at the downpipes,makes the job alot easier,leave the inlet fannymould on too.

When you do lift it the engine will have to be tilted up slightly on the driver side to allow the box to free and you may have a bit of a job as its tight and the rear mount catches on the streering rack so a bit of wiggling will be needed.

Seperate the two halfs of the engine mount on the drivers side,rear mount can stay as it is,passenger mount needs to be removed as a whole.

·
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers Mat ...

After a dodgy start - finding all the bits and putting up a gazebo since its starting to snow now ... :lmao:

... Thats the struts off ... time for a cuppa before I start fannying with the driveshafts ...

I'm worried that with the autobox there's not going to be enough room to tip it up and lift it out the bay ... is there any argument/ benfit from dropping the motor/ lifting the shell?

·
Whatever!!!!!!
6,482 Posts
That how i always take cav engines out!!!!!

Seems to be a lot easier tbh ;)

·
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's involved with dropping it? - do you just undo the subframes from the chassis itself and drop them and the engine as one unit? If so, where do they bolt up (or more accurately, where do I get to the bolts to undo these?) ...

... or is it a case of undoing those two members and then the engine comes down through the subframe hole .. ?

... or am I talking cack? :lmao:

·
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
post tea bump :up:

It's been snowing, raining and hailing while I've had that tea!

·
Whatever!!!!!!
6,482 Posts
JamesM said:
What's involved with dropping it? - do you just undo the subframes from the chassis itself and drop them and the engine as one unit? If so, where do they bolt up (or more accurately, where do I get to the bolts to undo these?) ...

... or is it a case of undoing those two members and then the engine comes down through the subframe hole .. ?

... or am I talking cack? :lmao:

LOL

Well you said you have already taken the struts off, So the wishbone is still in place??

Well the H Frame is held up by 6 bolts, 4 16mm and 2 18mm, but leave the wishbones connected to the frame!!!
The engine is held in place by 2 15mm on the O/S front,2 15mm above the Gearbox and 2 17mm at the back of the box going throught he H frame,These need to be undone first as to seperate the frame from gearbox!!

Are you using an engine hoist or crane ???

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Out the bottom is easiest if you have the means to lift the front of the car high enough to clear the engine once it's on the deck.

·
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everything is disconnected as far as I can see ... I think I might have a little trouble with the AC pipes one way or another, but meh ...

WannabeCowboy said:
LOL

Well you said you have already taken the struts off, So the wishbone is still in place??

Well the H Frame is held up by 6 bolts, 4 16mm and 2 18mm, but leave the wishbones connected to the frame!!!
The engine is held in place by 2 15mm on the O/S front,2 15mm above the Gearbox and 2 17mm at the back of the box going throught he H frame,These need to be undone first as to seperate the frame from gearbox!!

Are you using an engine hoist or crane ???
aye, the wishbones are still in place ... wouldn't they be better off and out of the equation ... doesn't the rear wishbone bolt go through into the chassis and need undoing too?

So, if I undo the 6 bolts holding the 'H' frame in, the motor and the frame will come away together?

... leaving me with an engine sat in the H 'cradle' with just the 2 x 2 x 2 bolts to undo to separate the engine from the frame.

Have I understood that correctly?

Cheers :up: by the way ...

edit:- 6 H frame bolts plus the two engine mount bolts at crank pulley end? :up:

·
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's out and on a wee trolley :up: ... although I've spent the last hour tidying up and getting more and more wound up though ... full story and pictures after a nice relaxing hot bath ... mmmm

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
This morning i had a quick look and decided that it was pointless commenting since i havent removed my V6 yet!

i)It looked like the engine and GB would lift if the ABS was cleared and the balance was right!! This will be a problem with the heavy auto, as the lugs are positioned to balance the engine....I am sure you will tell us.

ii)I thought about the sub frame, this seems good in theory, but the shell lift and move is a problem especially if you don't have some strong friends!

Just thinking of the auto gearing with :

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m12b0s672p2511

·
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol @ Pual ... 10's ... It's all the rage in Germany apparently, tiny rims and fat wee tyres ...

·
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh man I ache like nobody's business today ... that's the price a penpusher pays for hefty work I suppose :lmao:

With the continual rain/ sleet/ snow/ hailstone, I decided to put up my gazebo to deflect the worst of it:-

It worked a treat.

Back working on the car I opted for 'out the bottom' because I didn't think the 'box end would easily clear the ABS etc like Paul mentioned above. Being on my own that would have been a problem to maneouvre.

I was also having problems with the hoist - it didn't seem to lift past a certain height so it looked like I'd possibly have clearance issues too.

So I jacked up the front of the car as high as I could, assisted by the hoist and placed the stands under so I could easily get to the H frame fixing bolts.

A big block of 3" wood on a jack kept the frame/ motor balanced while I strapped up the top end with the hoist and lowered it down.

Which worked fine until I realised that what remained of the airconditioning (and some other) pipework was seriously getting in the way. So I ripped it out, getting a little wound up by now.

With the drop clear, it was properly lowered with the jack and block swapped at the last moment for a wheeled trolley.

Getting the motor out wasn't straight forward - the body wasn't high enough to clear it, the hoist was directly in front ... so was moved to the passenegr side of the car and lifted the front end that way. The motor then came out the driver's side wheelarch and clear. Axle stands were reduced back to a regular height and that was almost it ...

This is where it all started going wrong ... no problems taking it out, on my own, but now that it was out ... plain sailing? ... nah ...

-There's a step into the garage, I couldn't get the motor up it.
-On my own I can' move it ... hang on, use the hoist ...
-Eventually get the hoist into the garage ... only for a wheel to fall off ...
-Getting the wheel back on I sliced the end of my thumb away ... (pic below)
-Can't position it to get to the engine anyway so have to try and move it by hand/ planks etc
-Maneouvring the trolley around, one of its wheels collapses.
-It's now immovable by me on my own so I call it a night and tidy up ...
-Can't shut the garage door cos the engine's in the way ...
-Can't shut the garage door in any case ... it seems the fannying around with the cav has moved it forward a couple of inches and it's blocking the door from closing too ...

arse ...

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
make big strong friends :D

·
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol - I'm ringing round at the moment .. two lads, a scaffold pole and my straps should sort it :up:

·
Whatever!!!!!!
6,482 Posts
Well good luck fella!!!

Hope all gets sorted ;) and be carefull its cuts like that, they do really hurt LOL

·
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
all sorted now :up: just need rid of the shell and it'll be moving on to phase2 ...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts