Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 94 Astra 1.7 TD for my Daughter, what a cracking motor it is. However, it keeps boiling up after about 4-5 miles driving. No heat in internal compartment from heater, at all. Expansion tank bubbling. Replaced thermostat, no joy. Took thermostat out, no joy. Flushed radiator through with a hose, no joy. I am about to replace the head gasket, just in case there is a 'leak' into the jacket. Water pump 'appears' to be circulating water. Can anyone else think of something that it may be?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bought a 94 Astra 1.7 TD for my Daughter, what a cracking motor it is. However, it keeps boiling up after about 4-5 miles driving. No heat in internal compartment from heater, at all. Expansion tank bubbling. Replaced thermostat, no joy. Took thermostat out, no joy. Flushed radiator through with a hose, no joy. I am about to replace the head gasket, just in case there is a 'leak' into the jacket. Water pump 'appears' to be circulating water. Can anyone else think of something that it may be?
Apparently the pump was replaced in recent months by the previous owner. The radiator is NOT heating up, I have a feeling that the head gasket is leaking (or worse the head is cracked?)

·
Registered
27 Posts
is their any signs m8 to support head gasket like oil in the water..cream inside the rim of the filler cap onthe top of the engine etc..

·
Registered
90 Posts
If there was a head gasket leak into the water system then I'd expect the pressure to very quickly eject all the coolant out of the expansion tank.

The previous owner (whilst tinkering with the plumbing) didn't accidentally connect up the heater matrix hoses backwards or something, did he? Might be something daft like this preventing the flow of water.

Is the top/bottom hose getting hot? Other pipes to/from the thermostat housing?

If the water pump has been off then maybe when he re-filled the cooling system did he maybe inttroduce an airlock into the system somewhere? Usually there is a filling pipe at the highest point in the cooling system where the water should be put in to avoid airlocks.

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
water pump is still the first place i would be looking , new doesn`t mean fault free , i had a water pump fail after a week.

·
VXons resident Priest
3,965 Posts
If the radiator isn't getting hot take the thermostat out and test to see wheter it's working properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The water is blasting out of the expansion tank within a very short space of time. The oil however, is clean and no emulsion is forming. Have had the thermostat out and makes no difference at all. I wonder about the heater matrix hoses as well though. The only pipes getting hot are those leading to the expansion tank!

·
VXons resident Priest
3,965 Posts
In that case it is either a buggered water pump or a pretty serious blockage somwhere.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The water is blasting out of the expansion tank within a very short space of time. The oil however, is clean and no emulsion is forming.
That's not good and does suggest that there is a break across the cylinder head from one of the cylinders into the coolant system.

You won't get water in the oil unless there's a break into the oilways too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for this folks. I connected a hose to the coolant system with the enging running and pumped cold water through til it stopped blowing air 'lumps' sealed it up then drove for about 2 miles. It overheated, the top hose is just blowing steam. I've taken the water pump off and it appears to be operating fully. I'm now resigned to taking the head off and replacing the gasket, bolts etc. Might be a few days as I only get an hour or so in the evenings.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm now resigned to taking the head off and replacing the gasket, bolts etc. Might be a few days as I only get an hour or so in the evenings.
Just be sure to make sure the engine is totally cold before you start taking the head off - best way to avoid warping anything.

A.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts