Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2019 Grandland X. I got it serviced from the main dealer in June. The following day I got "Engine Oil Pressure Fault -STOP THE CAR" fault and lost power. I stopped and started and fault was gone. This happened every second day, first thing in the morining only. I returned the car to the dealer and they said they fixed it (oil cap not secure and air getting in). However it continued and then sometimes twice in the morning. Returned to main dealer and they kept it for a few days. They said it was fixed and just needed software upgrade. Now its happening 6 or 7 times a day usually first thing in the morning and also on acceleration passing someone out. The dealer cant take a look for another week. The dealer is not admitting that whatever happened was as a result of the service. But I find it hard to believe that it started happining the day after a full service. Can anyone help?? It is quiet dangerous loosing power on an overtake and then having to immediately get to the road edge to stop and start again.

·
Worn Out Member
8,242 Posts
Yes with a wet belt engine you would have hoped they actually checked the oil pressure first.

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
You don't say how many miles it's done, or what fuel, but, if it's a petrol, these belts can shred at a relatively low mileage, and block the oil pick up in the sump.
As TTT says above it's a well known fault on these Peugeot engines (take a look at Peugeot Forums).
You need to return to the dealer and thump the table a bit, insisting they look into this properly, especially as it should still be in warranty. If you get no joy, get on to Vauxhall customer services.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is petrol engine with 62k km on the clock (38k miles). Could the belt go with so low mileage
Could it be anything else??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone think its strange it started the day after a full service. Surely it is not a coincidence

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
It is petrol engine with 62k km on the clock (38k miles). Could the belt go with so low mileage
Could it be anything else??
From the information on the Peugeot Forums, that's about the danger zone!
The belt starts to shred & blocks the oil pick up gauze. It's a ridiculous design, having a belt running in oil.
Does anyone think its strange it started the day after a full service. Surely it is not a coincidence
It's also possible that they have put the newly recommended thinner oil in, but it still shouldn't bring the oil light on.
As I said before, go back & thump the table, you've forked out a lot of money for a car which is now faulty.

·
Super Moderator
28,197 Posts
From the information on the Peugeot Forums, that's about the danger zone!
The belt starts to shred & blocks the oil pick up gauze. It's a ridiculous design, having a belt running in oil.

It's also possible that they have put the newly recommended thinner oil in, but it still shouldn't bring the oil light on.
As I said before, go back & thump the table, you've forked out a lot of money for a car which is now faulty.
Ford do it on their Ecoboost petrol engines , supposed to make the belt last longer.

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Premium Member
Astra K 1.4t (150) auto SRI NAV
17,114 Posts
It's on an 19 plate, so covered under warranty, book it in asap, ask for a courtesy car too. Tell them to keep it until they've fully rectified the issue. Also contact vaux customer services and make them aware of it too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dealer has had it now twice. First time they assured me it was only a minor issue - the oil cap had not been sealed correctly after the service. It started again. Second time they had it for 3 days, gave me a courtesy car and assured me it was fixed - software upgrade required. It started again the following day and now it seems to be worse. My issue is now that they cant take the car again until Aug 3rd, should I be driving it??? If it is the timing belt, do I have long before I do serious damage

·
Premium Member
17,114 Posts
The dealer has had it now twice. First time they assured me it was only a minor issue - the oil cap had not been sealed correctly after the service. It started again. Second time they had it for 3 days, gave me a courtesy car and assured me it was fixed - software upgrade required. It started again the following day and now it seems to be worse. My issue is now that they cant take the car again until Aug 3rd, should I be driving it??? If it is the timing belt, do I have long before I do serious damage
If the oil light is on, then I wouldn't drive it. As I've previously advised take it to the dealership when you can. The fault would have been logged within the ECU and the dealership knows of the issue too. Also make vaux customer services aware of it too. The fault should be rectified under warranty.
Not forgetting you are dealing with a dealership, their response may not be immediate, as you are finding out. You'll just have to persist on with them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If the oil light is on, then I wouldn't drive it. As I've previously advised take it to the dealership when you can. The fault would have been logged within the ECU and the dealership knows of the issue too. Also make vaux customer services aware of it too. The fault should be rectified under warranty.
Not forgetting you are dealing with a dealership, their response may not be immediate, as you are finding out. You'll just have to persist on with them.
When I stop the car and start it again the fault warning goes away.
I am not driving the car with the warning light on.
It says "Engine oil pressure fault - Stop the car"
I stop and restart immediately and the fault light is gone.

·
15,922 Posts
If you have low oil pressure you are causing irreparable damage by driving it, whether the light is on or not.
The oil pressure needs checking with a gauge and the car recovering to a garage to get that done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You seem not to understand. Damage is done. Oil pressure low means engine is DONE. Finito, finished.
Are you saying that the next day after a full service the timing belt just decided to shred into the sump.
Is this something that happened during the service.
I cant believe that it is a concedience.
"Done, Finito, Finished" is not very helpfull
If you dont know WHY this is happening, just say so

·
Super Moderator
28,197 Posts
Are you saying that the next day after a full service the timing belt just decided to shred into the sump.
Is this something that happened during the service.
I cant believe that it is a concedience.
"Done, Finito, Finished" is not very helpfull
If you dont know WHY this is happening, just say so
If as Alan G has mentioned , the timing belt is breaking up , then driving the car will only make matters worse.
1/ pieces of shredded belt are weakening the construction of the belt & could lead to the failure of belt resulting in engine damage.
2/ pieces of shredding belt are continuing to block the oil supply to the engine & turbocharger which could lead to premature failure of the turbocharger bearing due to lack of oil or the engine parts are wearing due to the oil no longer cushioning the moving parts & preventing them from touching each other.
3/ put simply driving this car with low oil pressure isn’t going to end well.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
It's quite possible that pieces of previously shredded belt got washed down into the sump as the oil was being refilled, and that may be why the problem became apparent after the service.
As others have said, YOU SHOULD NOT DRIVE THE CAR LIKE THIS.

·
Premium Member
17,114 Posts
When I stop the car and start it again the fault warning goes away.
I am not driving the car with the warning light on.
It says "Engine oil pressure fault - Stop the car"
I stop and restart immediately and the fault light is gone.
As previously advised really. Needs taking to the garage, it's under warranty (fortunately), so you should be OK.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts