Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2003 Astra 1.6 8 valve with an irritating problem.
The engine management light comes on but only when I have been driving for about 2 hours. When it comes on it stayes on until I park up an leave it overnight. In the morning it is fine and wont come on until I do another long drive.
When its on it dosen't seem to affect performance, acceleration and top speed are unaffected.

Also, on my old Vectra you could read the fault codes by using a paperclip and reading the number of flashes of the engine management light. Dont suppose there is a similar trick with the Astra? :mmmm

·
Registered
100 Posts
My 1.6 8v Astra also loves to show me it's engine light. If you scan through this section there's loads of them.

Are there any symptoms? As mine comes on after a good run, but only when idling. The idle drifts up to 11-1200 rpm after a while. If you load the system with lights etc it drops and the light goes out again after a short while.

The last problem was a split vacuum hose, which also caused a high idle, but all the time. In both cases it drove fine though.:D

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
best to just get the code read using a OBD2 reader/tech2 then you will know what the problem is,

and unfortuently the astra doesnt have a simple paperclip type test, you need to buy a special reader, can be got on ebay for £20 that will give you a code which tells you whats wrong,
do a search for ODB2 reader,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys
There are no symptoms to speak of although it some times sort of hesitates as you are cruising along as though it is misfiring. It does this whether the light is on or not.
When the light is on it is perfectly steady. I have tried all the engine connectors for tightness and kicked all the tyres.
I think I will get a code reader off of eBay. I was a bit doubtful when I looked them up but as you guys have used them i'll give it a try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts