Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Does anybody know the life expectancy of a Crossland engine please?
Mine is 4 years old and needs an entire engine replacement at 32,000 miles - should they last longer than this?

Thanks

·
Worn Out Member
8,423 Posts
Which engine and what happened ?

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a 1.2 Elite - the timing belt started to fray which lead to swarf entering the oil, hence the reason for an engine replacement.
The garage want to charge me for part of the repair however as it has been classed as a manufacturing defect (by Vauxhall themselves) then I don't believe I should have to pay anything towards the cost of the repair.
Basically I need to know that the engine should have lasted alot longer than just 32,000 miles/4 years. The timing belt spec is at least 6 yrs or 64,000 miles

·
Premium Member
Astra K 1.4t (150) auto SRI NAV
17,315 Posts
Yes I have heard of this issue occurring before with this little 1.2t 3 cylinder turbo engine. Unfortunately within my experience modern engines are not as reliable, as they used to be. They've been a few failures that I've heard about with this engine, also some of the 1.4t & the 1.6d engines have been problematic too.
I'd push vaux customer services for a significant contribution towards an replacement engine. If you've not already done so.
You'll be lucky to receive a full cost of the replacement, but I'd aim for 80%. Yes it should last for longer than 4 years. If you do keep it, you should get a years warranty with the new engine. If you ever buy a new'ish vauxhall again I'd advise you to take their extended warranty (at a cost), I've done so. otherwise pick another manufacturer that give longer warranties from standard, plenty to choose from.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi and thankyou - they have already offered an 80% contribution on a £3k bill but most folk I have spoken to have said don't settle for it, which is why I wanted to come on here.
Its coming to the end of the finance agreement next month which also throws up the question of do I want to keep it, considering its history, or just hand it back. Vauxhall finance do not think I can hand it back in the condition its in, only once repaired

·
Super Moderator
28,336 Posts
Hi and thankyou - they have already offered an 80% contribution on a £3k bill but most folk I have spoken to have said don't settle for it, which is why I wanted to come on here.
Its coming to the end of the finance agreement next month which also throws up the question of do I want to keep it, considering its history, or just hand it back. Vauxhall finance do not think I can hand it back in the condition its in, only once repaired
Correct , it will need to be returned in good running order.

·
Premium Member
17,315 Posts
I think 80% is good, but it wouldn't harm to ask for more.
Personally I'd hand it back once fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or another way to look at this is Vauxhall Finance still own the car, they are in breach of contract for selling me a faulty car, with a manufacturing defect (their words) so I am within my rights to terminate the contract and have nothing further to do with it

·
Premium Member
3,518 Posts
There are a lot of these modern small engines where the timing belt runs in the engine oil, and this type of failure is quite common at about that mileage.
If they are offering 80%, I would take that, and do what you say above.
When looking for a replacement car, remember that your Crossland is a Peugeot in disguise, and Ford also use a similar system with the timing belt in the oil, so be careful what you replace the Crossland with unless you want similar problems in future!

·
Premium Member
17,315 Posts
Thanks, I plan to ask for more or if that's their final offer to have it repaired, pay the balloon payment and sell it on for a £3k profit
Yes it's also a good time to sell at the moment. Stellantis own vauxhall & around 17 other car brands :ROFLMAO:
I always think if a manufacturer are prepared to give their cars long warranties then they believe within their brand.
I also think you've done well to get a 80% contribution, as the manufacturers warranty was only for 3 years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I have just had some good news this morning - Vauxhall have just called to say they are willing to pay for the full cost of repair!
This turned out to be £4,493 (and not £3,134 as previously thought)
Extremely happy with this result plus I get a brand new engine at the end of it

Thanks for your help everyone

·
Premium Member
3,518 Posts
Well that is good news.
When you decide to get another car, maybe consider a Kia or Hyundai, as they give seven and five year warranties.
My son's partner has had a couple of Kia's, and I think they are good cars.

·
Premium Member
17,315 Posts
Well that is good news.
When you decide to get another car, maybe consider a Kia or Hyundai, as they give seven and five year warranties.
My son's partner has had a couple of Kia's, and I think they are good cars.
Or a Toyota and you get 10, although they do cost a bit more to buy, initially.

·
Premium Member
3,518 Posts
Or a Toyota and you get 10, although they do cost a bit more to buy, initially.
Wow, I wasn't aware they gave that long a warranty.
They are known as good cars though.

·
16,184 Posts
MG are giving 7 years but from my sister's experience they are not good cars.

·
Premium Member
17,315 Posts
Wow, I wasn't aware they gave that long a warranty.
They are known as good cars though.
I think any Toyota that's up to 10 years of age and has covered less than 100k would be entitled to this warranty, providing it's serviced by a Toyota dealer or at least took there for a service prior to then be given a years warranty from the point of that service.
MG are giving 7 years but from my sister's experience they are not good cars.
No, but the Chinese have plenty of cash to throw at maintaining them. Maybe they'll improve once more established, a bit like Hyundai. As they were cheap as chips initially, flooding our market with the introduction of the previous scrappage scheme.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts