Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I absolutely love my combo van. I've had 2 of them, which add up to 12 years of customising the interior with camping equipment, gadgets, comforts and entertainment. I also had this one resprayed 2 years ago, so irrespective of cost, I'm keeping this little van forever. Just so that no-one says "not worth it mate". I know that, but this van is virtually irreplaceable!

So my van has the Isuzu 1.7D n/a engine, which I love because it's very basic, purely mechanical, and always runs. I don't mind too much that it's slow, because it's a relaxing drive.

But it has these problems:
  1. Oil leaks through the head, all over the sump, gearbox and everything, dripping on the ground. I've replaced the sump pan, the camshaft end seal, cam cover gasket, and sealed it in with silicone. I can't find the source of the leak, so its a mess.
  2. It gradually uses coolant, but doesn't leak from anywhere when pressure tested. I borrowed a coolant testing solution which changes colour if your coolant is contaminated with exhaust gases and therefore head gasket failure. Test showed no head gasket problem. So I can't find the source of this leak either, and it creates airlocks which means the radiator fan doesn't always work.
  3. It gets very hot at motorway speeds, mostly when I try to push it above 80mph, or keep it at 80 up a steep hill, but often I have to slow down to 60 to get the temperature needle below half again. When I first bought the van, I fitted a new radiator. Last year I fitted new water pump, thermostat, expansion tank cap. It seemed to help a bit at the time. I backflushed the radiator and block a few months ago, but it still gets very hot on the motorway.
So I want to change the engine to one without the above problems! A slightly more powerful engine would be nice, but not essential. I was considering the 1.5TD. Is this a straight swap. Do the following match up?
  1. Engine mounts?
  2. Gearbox / Clutch?
  3. Alternator?
  4. Power Steering pump?
I have read lots of questions on here about retrofitting PAS, and everyone being advised not to. My situation is a slightly different as of course I have the rack and pipework already fitted. But it looks like the 1.5TD doesn't have a bracket for the PAS pump. Can this be transferred over from my 1.7D engine?

My alternator is brand new, so I'd like to keep that if it fits?

The clutch has only done about 20,000 miles, so would like to keep that too.

Sorry for the long post. Hope it's clear.

·
Premium Member
11,133 Posts
Never done this engine swap but I would think you would need the ECU and wiring plus and probably CIM from the donor car/van, have you not thought of sticking with the same engine but get the turbo version.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surely the 1.5td, 1.7d and 1.7td are all mechanical engines with no ECU? I've also read on this very forum that the 1.7td is a squeeze in the Corsa B engine bay, and impossible to fit and keep the power steering. So I chose the 1.5td as it was a factory fitted option in the Corsa B, just not the Combo B.

I could have tagged this thread as Corsa B, not Combo, as that's a more commonly modified car, but it's the same engine bay.

·
13,370 Posts
The 1.5TD is a cracking engine.
I ran mine to 130,000 miles with no issues and it has plenty if power, especially compared to what you have now which is woefully under powered.
You can get an electric power steering kit for the Corsa B. My non assisted steering was quite heavy.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Surely it makes more sense to keep the hydraulic PAS as all I would have to do is bolt on the pump? That's why I wanted to know from anybody on here if the PAS pump would attach to the 1.5td engine?

·
13,370 Posts
The 1.5 TD Corsa had the option of PAS so it might.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you guys on here have access to parts diagrams or part numbers so I can see if the gearbox, alternator and engine mounts are the same? Or is there anyone on here who is really familiar with Corsa B engine swaps?

·
13,370 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is the 1.7d engine a Isuzu engine like the Isuzu 1.7td engine found in the Astra/cavalier mk3.

The 1.7td wasn't a corsa/combo option am I right.

So maybe do as discussed.... 1.5td conversion from another corsa/combo donor, just swap everything needed over.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My current 1.7d is an Isuzu yes. The Haynes manual covers the 1.5d, 1.5td and 1.7d, so I assume that they have some of not many similarities.

I don't know why the 1.7td is a bad fit for the Corsa B engine bay, only that I've read on this forum that it's difficult or impossible.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's a shame that. As the Isuzu 1.7 8v td is a great engine, as is the 1.7 DTi 16v.

But if the 1.5td is a Isuzu and similar, that's said to be just as good too. Fuel pump polo mod, upped boost and inlet & exhaust mods be a good dirty booster van "combo". Haha get it....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would love a sleeper van, but firstly I would like a non leaky van. I'm also strangely drawn to the old school mechanical engines. ECU's could go wrong, or not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh and I meant to say there's a 1.5td engine on eBay for £200 that's only done 80,000 miles. Really keen to just buy it, but anxious that it won't fit easily.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have a look at the pics, check to see if mounts are same position, if gearbox and mounts etc match....

Have you done any research into it yet...

·
13,370 Posts
Oh and I meant to say there's a 1.5td engine on eBay for £200 that's only done 80,000 miles. Really keen to just buy it, but anxious that it won't fit easily.
It fits, the Combo is just a Corsa with a box on the back, the engine bay will be the same.
The non PAS version even has the double pully on the engine to drive the PAS pump already fitted.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have a look at the pics, check to see if mounts are same position, if gearbox and mounts etc match....

Have you done any research into it yet...
This thread is my research!

So it seems much more common to convert to a 1.7td, but that involves using manifolds and one engine mount from the 1.5.

I am hoping that the 1.5td is more of a straight swap, although obviously the 1.7td would make more power, but that's not my main concern.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My research tonight on eBay and my Haynes manual, shows that all the ancillaries are the same on my current 1.7D engine and the 1.5TD:
  1. Clutch
  2. Alternator
  3. PAS Pump
  4. Gearbox
  5. Drive Shafts
As I would need to buy all the 1.5TD manifolds to make the 1.7TD engine fit, then an entire 1.5TD does seem like an easier choice. Power according to Haynes is only up from 59bhp to 65bhp, but torque is an excellent increase from 80 ft/lbs to 97ft/lbs. Plus of course any TD is tunable, whereas the n/a isn't!

I'm not sure about the engine mounts though, although I may be getting mixed up with the 1.7TD differences.

What about the fuel pump and immobiliser? Do I need the original key from the donor car?

·
13,370 Posts
What immobilizer?
Don't think many Corsa Be had an immobilizer.
That's the advantage of a "stupid" engine, no expensive modules or sensors to go wrong.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.