Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
New It's Poo, Old I'm Sold
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can anyone help me, im 17 and cannot afford to insure anything over 1600

tempted to buy a 1800 MK2 Astra ( IG 11 ) if i was to swap this engine with a 1400 ( IG 6 ) and change the log book would this be enough for the insurance company to insure me as a group 6??

has anybody else done this??

thanks

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
the insurance could well class it as a modified car & up the insurance , there is also a lot of work in downsizing the engine as the gearbox , driveshafts , front suspension , fuel tank etc are all different.
probably better off buying a 1.4 & puttting some nice sri bits on it , seats , bumpers , rear spoiler etc.

·
Foldy roll
2001 Vauxhall Vectra SRi150 2.2 16V hatchback
16,073 Posts
You can pick up a 1.4 Mk3 Astra for well under £500....
That's low tax and very low insurance group.

I stripped mine out and I've had 110mph (indicated), and it wheelspins going into 2nd gear :lmao:

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
But if you declare them that might boot up your premiums
thats a risk as well , but either way they up the premiums , at least he could say it was like that already & plead ignorance as long as its still 1.4 , insurance is just another form of legalised robbery anyway.

·
New It's Poo, Old I'm Sold
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it would have to be a mk2, like the styling much more than the mk3 but im stuggling to find a 1.4, in reasonable nick.

·
Peace Upon the Children
2,002 Posts
My dad had some car you couldnt get an engine for, something like an triumph herald or teh like, and he actually put a smaller engine in (as another car in by the same manufacturer was in abundance) and when he went to insur it they upped teh insurance as it was classed as modified, even though it was slower.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts